Started by rigstar, December 18, 2011, 09:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rigstar

i asked this in another thread

Quote from: rigstar on December 07, 2011, 09:12:35 pm
don't mean to hijack the thread bille,

i have a maverick 732 sitting at home i haven't seen yet, but from
what i have read on here about the probes, mostly moisture problems
i am bringing home some heat shrink wrap for electrical wire i was going to use on the
end of the probe, and over the wire. and heat shrink it over both, to elimnate the moisture
i thought it would be a good idea as it seems all the problems encounters are due
to moisture.
is this a bad idea?

"I don't know the temp that the heat wrap can take but there may be times that you may want to use it in a BBQ or oven. Per their site, the probes are rated to 716 degrees. If your heat wrap is less then you are limiting the capability versus using a high temp sealant"

did some research on the heat shrink tubes i have and they are only good for 440*F, so probably
not the best option
found some high temp silicone that goes upto 600*F
has anyone done anything like this to their probes, or should i just be very careful
when cleaning them?
thanks
either your in, or your in the f***ing way

beefmann

I am using the high temp silicone myself, I feel after a few uses the heat shrink will split and have to be redone, where as the silicone will last a lot longer before any re- application will  need to be done

just my  2 cents

pensrock

I just wipe the probes off and keep them away from water.

rigstar

thanks guys,
2 interesting points of view.
i think i am going to go with a little high temp. sealant,
what kind do you use beefman?

beefmann

pikeman_95

If you have a fine wire mesh protecting the probe wires which most of them do. Make sure that you work the protectant into the mesh so that it does seal the moisture out to the probe. If you are using your probe anywhere near your water bath I would take the time to protect your probes. I have lost more then one. Walmart does make a rather inexpensive digital thermometer that seems to be quite accurate. It also has an alarm that will warn you when you are getting too hot.

rigstar

thanks beefman

thanks for the tip pikeman_95, will make sure i get it applied correctly
and i will check out wally world for a digital therm.