Boston Butt - Need Advice

Started by liquid25, January 05, 2006, 06:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nodak

I buy mine deboned for $1.49 regularly in ND

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by justafeedboy</i>
<br />I am a new bee and just followed nxsbills instructions,  I did two butts with the bones in  (17.5lb).  I followed instructions to a tee and the two butts took 23 hrs.  It made for an impressive first major smoke.  An electronic therm. made all the difference,  I used recipes from the book Smoke and Spice for Mr. Brown and made coleslaw and 3 sauces.  The key is getting to 187 degrees and ftc.  The wait is worth it[:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Welcome to the Forum, Mike!  Glad your first smoke was a success!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

Around Boston, a butt goes for 1.79 or so, but it's easy to find them on sale for 1.29.  Only once have I seen one for .99!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

liquid25

This ended up taking 18 hours and 5 FTC. 190 IT. I applied 4 hours smoke - next time I'll try 5. I used a pork rub from a local place that makes pulled pork. I applied it 24 hours before smoke. The flavor was lacking. Next time I will do more research in this area, maybe I'll try mustard.

IT was 150 after 5 hours FTC, which I thought was interesting.

Next time I'll skip the bacon on the top rack also. I think this threw the flavor off for me.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

JJC

I also use 5 hr on a BB--one of the few exceptions to the 4hr rule for me . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA