Cheese Question...

Started by mwilliams7967, January 16, 2012, 12:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwilliams7967

Looking for some suggestions on how long to let cheese rest after coming out of the smoker before vacuum sealing.  I am applying two hours of applewood right now.  Thanks everyone!

OU812

I like to invert the racks on the counter, wipe the sweat off, place the cheese on the inverted racks and let it rest a couple hours before sealing.

mwilliams7967

Thank You! Much appreciated!

DTAggie

couple hours is about right.  wipe any sweat

chiroken

Do you feel the sweat contributes to the ashtray taste or is it just a moisture issue that you don't want to be vacuum packing?
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

pensrock

Wipe dry with paper towels, allow to cool to room temp. then wrap and put into fridge. I do not vac seal like a lot of others do. I wipe to get the moisture off the cheese.

ghost9mm

What the rest said...I leave mine rest a few hours and vac and put in the fridge for no less then a month...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

viper125

Use to be a old man and lady that ran a meat and cheese store here. Always the best around. She once told me she would only put cheese in a cooler when temps were real high. Said cheese done better and tasted better at room temps. Now it was probably 65-69 in there all the time. But no matter what cheese you bought they were all good. Now mozzarella and cream cheese and other unripened cheeses should be refrigerated all the time. I keep mine in the bottom of the refrigerator too. But that's because the wife don't like it setting out. When I prepare cheese to eat i always cut and plate 2-3 hours before eating. This gives it time to warm and bring out all the smells and flavors. So if you always eat cheese cold try letting a plate sit out and see the difference. If you don't eat it all zip lock it in a bag or vaccum and sit in bottom of fridge it will keep over a year.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

mwilliams7967

Thank You Viper.  With some trial and error I have found what you just posted to be true.  I have learned to let it sit out for a little bit before eating!!