Has anyone tried putting a chimney on their smoker?

Started by Roget, December 26, 2011, 08:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roget

DTAggie mentioned that in colder weather the wind blowing across the top of the smoker would "suck the heat out."
So I put a 6" section of stove pipe on the vent.
I don't know if it helped or not, just wondered what others think.

Also, do most of you use the smoke generator for "extra heat" after the smoke cycle?
I never have left it on once the smoke stopped, but think I have read where some of you use it to supplement the element throughout the cook.
I don't have trouble maintaining steady temps but do sometimes experience rather long recovery times.
Your advice, please.
Thanx in advance.

YCDBSOYA

devo

I don't know about the extension if it will help but think others have done it. Many use the smoke generator in cold weather to help out with extra heat.

Caneyscud

The chimeny may or may not work.  I'm curious as to what you think? 

Long recovery times are not a bad thing.  Unless the wind is "sucking' the heat out, then it probably means that most of the element's heat output is going into heating up the meat rather than heating up the cabinet air.  I did a 13 pound turkey after Thanksgiving.  Because of a misalignment, I had to feed the pucks manually every 20 to 30 minutes.  Commonly someone would say that the cook would take hours longer because of opening the door up so much.  But it as done in 5.5 hours - about what I would expect.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

I have a chimney.  I can't really say if it helps with wind or not. 

It grew out of a winter smoking in the garage project and just stayed on there.

The winter setup used an adjustable elbow on top of the stack that was attached to aluminum duct.  I still use the elbow.  If it rains out, I put on the elbow to keep water out of the box and put a cover over the SG.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

devo

Well this is my way of thinking about it. Might be wrong but your vent is just like a chimney with a damper. If you want to cut down on the draft you close the damper to get more heat into your house and your wood burns longer. So by closing the vent say half way will cut back on the draft in the smoker and help you keep your temp from swinging. I'm just guessing on this but it should work on those real windy days.

Quarlow

Quote from: devo on December 27, 2011, 11:03:50 AM
Well this is my way of thinking about it. Might be wrong but your vent is just like a chimney with a damper. If you want to cut down on the draft you close the damper to get more heat into your house and your wood burns longer. So by closing the vent say half way will cut back on the draft in the smoker and help you keep your temp from swinging. I'm just guessing on this but it should work on those real windy days.
You must be careful not to get moisture build up in the cabinet if you close down the vent. Moisture is worse than anything at all.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

devo

Yes I totally agree with you that's why I said on windy days when the draft is at its highest it might help on heat loss, of course there will be that fine line when you close it to much and get moisture. That will come from experience I guess on just how much is needed to close the vent

Habanero Smoker

On a windy days  you also have to be concerned about the vents on the side of the generator. You will also need to block the wind from that entry point. I found that setting up a 3 sided barrier works well, as long as you have about a 4" clearance from the vents to allow air flow.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Quarlow

Quote from: devo on December 27, 2011, 01:03:16 PM
Yes I totally agree with you that's why I said on windy days when the draft is at its highest it might help on heat loss, of course there will be that fine line when you close it to much and get moisture. That will come from experience I guess on just how much is needed to close the vent
I wasn't trying to contradict you in anyway devo, just add the moisture issue.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

devo

Caneyscud

Does adding the chimney increase the draft - especially with wind blowing across the top? 

The way my weird mind works, every time I see a Bradley with a short chimney, it reminds me of Briscoe Darling Jr. and his musical jug.  Musical accompaniment during a smoke!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"