• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hello from Western Australia

Started by Foodie, December 29, 2011, 09:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foodie

Hi all,
Having been having a great read here - as Santa just delivered our new BS (digital) - and hubby has returned from a fishing trip with loads of fat Herring, Tailor and Skippy (the really good stuff gets eaten fresh  ;)

I have brined my fish and it's drying off in the fridge. Very nervous but a big thanks to manxman for showing the way with his Kipper method!  :) I will try the cold smoke followed by the hot smoke to finish off.

I am very interested in chacuterie so my smoker should get a good work out. Can't wait to make my own bacon.

I have my own recipe for cured salmon pieces that uses salt, sugar and pulverised lemongrass, orange and lemon rind, star anise, kaffir leaves and coriander - when I get a moment I will post if anyone interested (we usually eat it cured without any cooking at all...thinly sliced on an asian-style apple salad...yum!) Seems there is plenty of access to lovely wild salmon for many you in the US....ours is all farmed here...)
Cheers!

GusRobin

Welcome --yes we are always interested in new recipes.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

3rensho

Hi Foodie and welcome.  I'd love to get your cured salmon recipe when you get a chance to post it.  Sounds a bit like Asian ceviche.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

La Quinta

Yet another woman (there is a God)...Welcome Foodie... ;D

beefmann

SouthernSmoked

Welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

ghost9mm

Hello and welcome to a really great forum...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Foodie

Hey La Quinta - I see there are lots of blokes here - but BBQ etc was always a cave man thing..?  ;) (just 0 stirring..hehe)

I am a dead keen cook - not so much to eat it though - just to create it and watch others enjoy..? I like everyone elses cooking but my own ??

I am also a bit passionate about where my food comes from. Not always easy as I have to shop in the Stupor Market too...

My dream is to eat healthy meat to go with the healthy fruit n veg I grow. I adore pork for smoking and making small goods - but the way it is grown in Aust (and likely the US too) is just awful. Pigs in small cages eating a mono-diet of pellets....yum (not)
I was born in New Zealand and we ate "game food" - pheasant, venison, wild pig and turkey, eels, possum etc. Australians are quite different - they are not really into game meat (in general). Eg: our kangaroo is actually a lovely, healthy meat....it's pet food here? It's not very gamey and makes wicked biltong...and salami and proscuitto too...and a medium rare fillet on the BBQ is pretty damn good!

Anyway -posted the salmon recipe in Fish. But u could make it a ceviche 3rensho (I love ceviche - hadn't thought about the recipe that way! we eat mainly asian food here due to our multi-culture - my fave is Vietnamese and Thai)

La Quinta

Foodie...my Lord...we are soul sisters!!! I just watch people eat my food...I am my own worst critic...everybody says they love it and I keep thinking it could be better...I just know it... ;D

Foodie

Same La Quinta! ;) Where are U?

What I like about my smoker - is that I don't get to taste the 'work in progress" until it's finished!? - so it's actually a nice 'surprise' for me at the end...?
Whereas my own cooking is never an actual surprise...?? (either cos I have made it b4, tasted/checked it whilst cooking it etc...)

I also have fun woking out what I am going to smoke, how I will smoke it - and what I can do with the end product too...?
I adore playing around with food - can't say I am great at it...but it's so interesting to play with tastes - and very creative/artistic. I find cooking for fun very soothing.

I love homemade baked beans - Boston style (lol) so I am looking forward to seeing how my smoker can help me out here...?

mikecorn.1

Hello and welcome from Texas. (USA)  ;D
Mike

La Quinta

Foodie...I am in the desert of Southern California...we are exactly alike...everytime I cook anything...whether it is smoked or not...I always go directly to a taste to re-purpose...

Watched a show on Food Network tonight that was horrifying about how much food we waste here in the US...250 million pounds of food are chucked out that just have a slight imperfection...Bob and I decided that we are gonna eat what is in the house...no more we have a lot of chicken...lets get a steak..

.I love the concept of getting lemons and making lemonade...or lemon curd...or lemon chicken..or lemon and garlic and scallop pasta...or...or... ;D

We have lemon trees too!!! ;D