• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Beef Jerkey

Started by daniel4228, December 29, 2011, 11:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daniel4228

Hey Guys, finally got my Bradley Smoker for Christmas from my wife.
Want to try a jerkey along with fresh sockeye.
What is the best process for doing the jerkey with only the smoker?
low heat for long time?

thanks

cgaengineer

For jerky I'd try to stay with a temp of 155 per my dehydrating book. What you want to avoid is "case hardening" which is a dry, tough outer shell which prevents moisture from escaping and the jerky not drying completely inside. Jerky is done when it bends like a green tree branch but does not break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

cgaengineer

As far as sockeye idk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

smoker pete

I learned from a few members like NePas (the Master), SouthernSmoker, Chili Head, FLBR to name just a few and this is how I do my Beef Jerky ... This is not their recipes verbatim but a compilation recipe that I find successful.

• 140? for 1 hour with NO smoke
  • Bump to 150? for 1 hour and apply 5 pucks of smoke.  I like Hickory when doing Teryaki Jerky
  • Bump to 165? for 4 hours
  • If needed ... bump to 175? until the jerky bends.  If it breaks it's overdone.
Rotate the racks every hour - Top to bottom, front to back
4 to 5 pucks of Hickory
Vent wide open
Cut against grain ... More chewy
Cut with grain ... Breaks apart easier
Slice 3/16" to 1/4" thick

In my opinion there's only one way to smoke to salmon

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=107.0

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

daniel4228

Thanks for the quick replies guys. i went ahead with this before i checked for replies and smoked it for about 6 hrs total.

smoked for 2 hrs starting at 120 degrees
every couple hours i bumped up the temp 10 degrees untill i hit  150-160 degrees.
rotated wracks half way through. i stopped the smoke after the 2 hours and low heat for the remaining 4-5 hours checking every once in a while.

turned out amazing.

recipe:

1 cup soy sauce
1 cup worchestershier sauce
1 tablespoon of onion powder
1 tablespoon minced garlic
fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon of red peper flakes.
marinated for 24hrs

the red peper flaked made it just spicey enough.

daniel4228

laserdoc

I got a jerky cannon for Xmas . Really like it. Add the ground and it lays out ribbons that are perfect. First batch I did was 5# of deer. I used two hickory pucks and kept the temp around 200. All was done in about 3 hours.
My 5 pounds are about gone.next time I'm making 10#!!! :P

hammer6969

if u don't have deer meat what is a good cut of meat to us for jerky.......im new at this just got smoke for x-mas and what to try jery out \
thanks

bille

Quote from: hammer6969 on January 07, 2012, 03:36:29 PM
if u don't have deer meat what is a good cut of meat to us for jerky.......im new at this just got smoke for x-mas and what to try jery out \
thanks

I like the London Broil, it cuts up into nice jerky strips.

Fernslinger