Did I get a Lemon/POS or what?

Started by Geminititan4, January 01, 2012, 05:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geminititan4

Hello All and Happy New Year!!

I have a dilema...your thoughts would be appreciated.

I got my new Bradley Digital 4 rack in September '11 and absolutely loved it...at first.
Bought it based on a friends experiences.  (other than the burner, she has had flawless results)

All was good for a while.  Loved the convenience especially...set it and forget it.
Smoking was new to me, but this board and all of your input is a priceless resource.

I have been smoking in it one to two times a week, consistently.  Love the results!

Octoberish, the burner went out....mid smoke (of course!).  Finished it in the oven okay.  No worries.  Bradley was awesome...sent another burner straight away.  After 10 days or so I received it and replaced it, no problemo, back in business.

Then Thanksgiving rolls around.  I load the 12# brined bird in, for some smoke love, set it and go about my day.  Dang the pucks are not advancing.   !@#$%^&!!
End up finishing it in the oven.....again.  (Which I had planned to do anyway.  The bird just didn't get the desired smoke.)  T-day was saved and the bird was still awesome.  I reset the smoker and it seemed to work fine...for a while.

The problem now is I did't trust it to advance the pucks.  So, I am setting my iphone for every 19 minute interval, and running out to check on it.  It was working about 50% of the time.   I was having to shut down the Digital unit and "reboot" it, then it would advance properly for a while.  Again called Bradley,  they seemed to know about the problem (which I find curious), and said it was a micro switch.  About a week later the switch arrived and I switched the switch.   Back in business...again.

4-5 smokes later it is New Years Day.  I've got a "prime" Prime Rib ($80 piece of meat!) in the smoker (my new specialty) and @#$%^&* if the thing doesn't quit on me again.  An "E" error on the display.  At this point I am livid.   I literally throw this thing back in the box and drive it back to WM for a refund.

My dilemma is, I love the design, the idea, the convenience of the smoker.  But mine couldn't make it much more than a month without breaking down.  Did I get a lemon/POS?  Should I get another one and try again?

My family, friends and myself absolutely love the results of the smoker.  We are literally heart broken that we might have to live without it.

What are your thoughts?

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Quarlow

The "E" error is an easy fix. You just needed to adjust your advance motor which when you installed the micro switch it was just slightly askew. If you had moved the motor over a touch so it engaged the micro switch it would have been fine.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Other things that can cause the "E" error is a loose connection to the micro switch and/or motor. Or some obstacle, such as wiring that can interfere with the movement of the motor arm. Also an unclean drive guide that will obstruct the movement of the slider can cause the error.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tomk

I am in the same boat as you are, love the product and the finished products.

4 month old smoker
burned out element
broken door hinge
pucks not advance

My supplier has done everything to help and have been awesome.
But the damn thing seems to break everytime i try to use it, i just cant belive it  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

KyNola

G4, I am sorry for your experiences but no, you did not buy a Lemon/POS.  Except for the burned out element the other issues are minor things things that pop up from time to time that we members of the forum could have helped you to resolve.  The micro switch you replaced may not have been bad at all but had simply vibrated itself(from normal use) just far enough away to not make good contact.  The "E" error could have been easily resolved as well.

You're right about one thing, this board is a priceless resource.

Having said that, I can totally understand your frustration.  Please don't hesitate to be a part of the Forum as there are tons of good folks on here who are more than happy to help each other out.

highlandsmoker

i agree but a OBS and a PID the digital smoker in my opion is over rated and over priced

Geminititan4

Thanks for all the intel.  So I am getting ready to order a OBS.
BTW, what does PID stand for?
What kind and where should I order it from?  Is it "plug and smoke" or is there hardwiring to do?

Any info for a newbie would be appreciated!
Thanks again all....

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Geminititan4 on January 15, 2012, 04:06:56 PM
What kind and where should I order it from?  Is it "plug and smoke" or is there hardwiring to do?

Thanks again all....
Here ya go.
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_28&zenid=8db2de15da009a478d8f5057a59635aa
Most here have the dual probe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

TedEbear

Quote from: Geminititan4 on January 15, 2012, 04:06:56 PMBTW, what does PID stand for?

From Wikipedia:  PID Controller

You can get the do-it-yourself single probe version from Auber for around $45.

NePaSmoKer

Nothing wrong with the digitals and PID

Been using my 6 rack with 0 problems.

Go to the Bradley site and in the FAQ's there the E error is explained and what to do about it.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Geminititan4 on January 15, 2012, 04:06:56 PM

Thanks again all....

You may want to look at the "new" OBS. I believe Bryan (a member (begolf25) of the forum here) from Yard and Pool is offering a discount to forum members but you should check in with him.

Here's a thread on the new OBS...
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=26552.0

Here is Yard and Pool's site...
http://www.yardandpool.com/Bradley-Smokers-s/573.htm

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes