Fat side down on a brisket-longer cook time?

Started by smitttykid, January 11, 2012, 04:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitttykid

Does smoking a brisket fat side down effect the cooking time?  I did a 2.87 lb. brisket-middle rack-cabinet temp. between 225-250 degrees F.  Hickory smoked for 2 hrs. 20 min.  The outside temp was in the 60's.  It took 6 hrs. 20 minutes to get the IT up to 195 degrees.  The first brisket I did fat side up.  It didn't take that long to cook-and the outside temp was in the mid 40's.  Plus it was a bigger piece of meat.  This second brisket came out fine.  I was affraid it was going to be jerky, but it wasn't.  It did appear to shrink more than the first one.  Does doing it fat side  down equate into a longer cook time?  As always, thanks, Smitty

begolf25

Smitty,

Every brisket is going to be a little different. I have been smoking all of my briskets fat cap on the bottom lately and haven't seen a noticeable difference with cooking times. I don't think fat cap up or down should matter as far as times go.

The thing about briskets is each one will have a different finishing temp. Once mine reach 190-195 I start checking it to see if it is done. I take a temp probe and if it slides into the brisket easily it is done. Some have been done at 190, others haven't been done until they reached around 210.

Bryan