Question for the rib experts

Started by Oyènkwara, January 17, 2006, 01:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oyènkwara

Since I got my Bradley I tend to look at the cuts in the meat counter a little different. I have not tried ribs yet, so while I was shopping at Super Wal-Mart today I though I would check out what they had to offer in the pork section. Crio-vac Boston butts run about 1.35 a pound. Baby backs 4.24.

They also had full ribs (I cannot remember the price but they were less than the Baby Backs.

Looking around a little more I saw they had fresh packs of "Rib Tips" these were 1.98 a pound. They were about 1-1/2 to 2" wide and maybe a dozen ribs in length. I would guess that these are like the "riblets" that you may get at some of the popular chain restaurants?

Any thoughts on these rib tips? Are they worth smoking or should I stick with the baby backs?

Tom

IKnowWood

I have never tried rib tips.  Or seen them.  I would assume they would be much like spare ribs.  Give it a try with some of the typical rib recipes from places like Smoke 'n' Spice or to it up simply with simple rub.  (Paprike, fresh crushed black pepper, red chili powder [or ceyenne], salt, tubinado sugar, and cumin)

Rub it over night or slightly less then pop them in for 4 to 5 hours at 200 degrees and then check them for tenderness and bone reveal.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

bsolomon

If you have not done ribs before, and you have a choice, I would recommend pork loin ribs/pork spare ribs over baby backs, at least for your first attempt.  The reasons for this suggestion:

1)  They tend to be less expensive than baby backs, about half the price typically.
2)  They have a higher ratio of meat to bone, so they tend to be more forgiving when cooked and don't have as much a tendency to dry out if you are not careful.

You might also find that these are easier to deal with than the rib tips again for the reason that larger pieces of meat are more forgiving to errors.

Personally, I prefer the pork spare ribs to babybacks overall, and I generally won't pay the extra for babybacks just because Chili's has a good marketing engine[:D]  The only time I do baby backs is when they are buy one get one free, which makes their price the same as spare ribs.  But again, on a per dollar basis, I feel you get less meat and more bones with baby backs.