• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Beginner Sticks

Started by nasels, January 13, 2012, 09:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nasels

Quote from: pensrock on January 15, 2012, 10:23:45 AM
Looks like you did a pretty good job. I agree the pork would have been better to mix in. Also did you stuff right after mixing the spices and cure in or let it sit over night then stuff? The reason I ask is because if you let it sit overnight with the cure in it, it will firm up and make it harded to stuff. If you decide to try 17mm or 15mm casings, make sure you have a tube they will fit on or you will not be able to use them. I'm like the others, I do not like to go above 160 F when doing sticks. Since you were not going to smoke them you could have added a little liquid smoke for the flavor. Also a little more water added to the meat before stuffing will help. Bu8t they do look good, nice job.  :)

I stuffed right after mixing and I finally realized when I started having blowouts later in the process to add a little water and the blowouts stopped.

nasels

Piker do you prop the door during the whole cooking cycle?

nasels

I called Hi-Mountain today. The kit casing is 21mm. Also LEM carries the 17mm casings, they are $9.99 for 2---- 7lb casings.

hybridcx

those look great! I am about to attempt my first batch of snack sticks once I decide on a stuffer. (looking at a kitchen aid w/ attachment). thanks for sharing

Sailor

Quote from: hybridcx on January 17, 2012, 08:33:19 PM
those look great! I am about to attempt my first batch of snack sticks once I decide on a stuffer. (looking at a kitchen aid w/ attachment). thanks for sharing
If you are planning on doing sticks and sausage I would highly recommend that you seriously consider purchasing a stuffer instead of buying the kitchen aid.  Kitchen Aids are great machines for what they are designed for.  Stuffing sausage is not their strong suit.  Just sayin   ;)

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

NePaSmoKer

Ditto with Sailor

KA is fine for a small batch grinder put it SUX as any sort of stuffer.

nasels

I did not reply earlier about the kitchen aid because those guys are the pros ;) I imagine you were thinking same tool to mix and stuff with. Heed their advice!

You often read on the forum buy a stuffer to stuff with. I am gonna get a 5lb LEM stuffer if I decide to continue making sticks. Not sure how much better that is but i think ok for small batches that I would make.

hybridcx

alright sounds good, and good to know it wont do what i want it to. so what would be a good stuffer as I plan on making a fair amount of stix and dabble in sausage... thanks in advance.

MTFiddler

Nasels,

those are some mighty fine looking stix, good job.