• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Fire

Started by mlp311, January 15, 2012, 12:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Quote from: devo on January 15, 2012, 08:51:30 PM
Well Viper I hope you have that fire extinguisher on the outside of your garage, it don't take very long for a room to fill up with smoke so much where you can't see. You don't want to be stumbling around trying to find it. I have been at work and been involved in some big fires and the smoke is the worst to deal with. I'm sure mlp311 thought to himself it will never happen to me but it did. You know that old Murphy's law thing.................that is typically stated as: "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong".

Well any things possible. Just like my electric stove in the kitchen. When baking the coils are red hot and exposed with out a drip tray. Been a lot of fat over the years drip on there. Yet we have never had a fire. Why because there is no grease left in the stove to catch fire. It gets cleaned after any thing that drips.  Same with my  smoker. He already said it was his fault not the smoker. He put foil on the v tray, he didn't keep it clean and he let the water dish dry out. Well some thing had to give. I have my S.G. disconnect from smoker with a hose delivering smoke. The SG which I think may be biggest cause of fires. You have a smoldering wood puck and add grease it will be a fire.
I wash and clean every thing in smoker after each smoke. I removed the puck burner. I use a Maverick to monitor temps. I use a Auber Pid to control. I don't smoke at high temps.I don't go away when smoking. I don't sleep when smoking. I have fire extinguisher in all three doors of garage also on back porch one in my camper and boat sitting not far away. My garage is unattached from house. I also have a smoke alarm wired in garage you can here at the neighbors. I can make it to the garage in less then a minute but mostly in there working on projects any way.
Now I'm not saying I want to lose a garage, even though I have two more out back. But I'd rather watch it burn then see any one hurt. I  think there is a lot more people on here that take a lot more chances then me. I worry when I hear they have their smoker on the porch,next to the house,temporary set up in the garage, on the deck or patio. Mine is properly vented I even have to leave the door open a while just to get a whiff. Temporarily set ups or hauling in and out at the last minute your more apt to forget some thing. And close to ones house is the last place I want mine. But I do appreciate the concern. I also have some experience with fires and know how quick and dangerous it can be come.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

ghost9mm

mlp311... I would like to thank you for coming forward and letting us know the possible causes of the fire, learning curve for sure, and while you may feel bad that you played a role in creating the problem, the folks that come by and read this thread will or should take note on what not to do...again thank you my friend...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

mlp311

Not a problem Ghost. I've learned what to do from you all and maybe someone can learn what not to do from me. I got my new Bradley ordered yesterday and am ready to give it another go. I ordered the new OBS and can't wait to try it out. I ordered directly from Bradley and those guys were great to work with.

devo

Quote from: mlp311 on January 17, 2012, 08:13:27 AM
Not a problem Ghost. I've learned what to do from you all and maybe someone can learn what not to do from me. I got my new Bradley ordered yesterday and am ready to give it another go. I ordered the new OBS and can't wait to try it out. I ordered directly from Bradley and those guys were great to work with.

Cool on the new Bradley, when you get it you can give us a review on it. Heres hoping you have much better luck this time around  ;)