• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Venison Summer sausage

Started by wthr_dude, January 15, 2012, 07:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wthr_dude

My weekend project.  Its my first attempt at making this, i used a pre mixed kit to try and learn.

DTAggie

some big sticks.  what mix did you use?

wthr_dude

It is a High Mountain summer sausage kit.  I followed the recipe for 12lbs (9lbs deer meat and 3ish lbs of fatty pork ribs ground together).  My original cook test seemed a little salty so I added some extra brown sugar before I stuffed it.  I cooked a little of the leftover this morning and it had a really mild but sweet flavor so I think it will be good.

mikecorn.1

Those are some biggens.   Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Sailor

Nice job on the stuffing.  Looking good

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

seemore

those look good long boys

seemore

NePaSmoKer

SouthernSmoked

Mmmm.............Looking good!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

DTAggie

I have found Hi Mountain mixes to be too salty.  Had to quit using them.

nasels

Quote from: DTAggie on January 15, 2012, 05:09:26 PM
I have found Hi Mountain mixes to be too salty.  Had to quit using them.

I thought the Hi Mountain snack stick kit I just used was a tad salty also!

loejukan

How long did you have them in the smoker for? Little more info on the way you cooked them please.

OU812

Lookin good so far.  ;D

Howd they turn out for ya?

wthr_dude

They ended up turning out pretty good, definitly edible and not to salty at all the only thing it was really missing was pepper. I have learned from experience using lots of High Mountain mixes so even though this was my first attempt at summer sausage, I cut the cure back by about 1/3rd and added some extra sugar.

I basically followed the directions in the kit. I took the tubes out of the fridge and started them in the smoker at 130 until they became dry. Bumped up the temp to 140 and started the smoke for an hour, then upped the the temp to 160 for another hour of smoke (needed more smoke in my opinion).  After that I simply put the temp controller at 180 went deer hunting til dark, came back and the IT was about 130 in the bottom of the tubes and 134 at the top (found it interesting that the top cooked faster than the bottom).  Bumped the temp up to 200 until I got an IT of 157 and put them directly in the fridge to cool down. 

Next up is a batch or 2 of deer jerky, I'm running out of meat already and hunting season isn't even over, guess I better get busy in the next 2 weeks and get a couple more in the freezer!!

ghost9mm

Well they sure look good, would like to see one sliced...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Sam3