Smoked garlic?

Started by Foodie, January 12, 2012, 04:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foodie

I love roasted garlic (the whole multi-clove thing in the oven) and was wondering what wood anyone wood recommend for smoking it and for how long?

Many thanks in advance  :)

beefmann

I would think maple, apple, oak or a mild - medium smoke would be best

Habanero Smoker

For vegetables my go to wood is pecan. For whole bulbs I use 2 hours of smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Georgia Chad

Quote from: Foodie on January 12, 2012, 04:30:20 AM
I love roasted garlic (the whole multi-clove thing in the oven) and was wondering what wood anyone wood recommend for smoking it and for how long?

Many thanks in advance  :)

I too love roasted garlic.  I am curious as to what smoke does to the garlic?  What would you use it on?

Also, do you hot smoke it, or just cold smoke it?

Habanero Smoker

It gives the garlic a nice smoked flavor. If I'm smoke/roasting the whole bulbs, I generally remove the loose layers, slice off the top and rub it lightly with some olive oil. You can cold smoke, then move to the oven to finish roasting, or you can smoke/cook at 225°F and roast it completely in the smoker, or after the smoke you can still move to the oven. I use it in any recipe that calls for roasted garlic.

If I am smoking individual peeled whole cloves, I always cold smoke them an use them in recipes that call for garlic cloves.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Foodie

Great! Thanks Hab...Beefman

Georgia:I was also thinking of a smoked garlic dip/mayo for crudites and cold meat...have a recipe where you put it thru the blender with some salt, lemon juice and then add olive like u do for home made mayo...it comes up really fluffy and quite mild...

Probably lots of things you can experiment with. I like serving roasted garlic on the side with roast meats...so I'd probably use it there - and in dips, the most.