jerky question

Started by mez, January 14, 2012, 07:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mez

I want to make some jerky this weekend with the con yeager Black nugget marinade.I've used it before with no cure added to make jerky with no problems.Just wondering if i should be using cure or not?The first 3 ingredients in the marinade are sugar,soy sauce powder(which has salt in it),and salt.Figured someone on here can steer my in the right direction.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: mez on January 14, 2012, 07:02:55 AM
I want to make some jerky this weekend with the con yeager Black nugget marinade.I've used it before with no cure added to make jerky with no problems.Just wondering if i should be using cure or not?The first 3 ingredients in the marinade are sugar,soy sauce powder(which has salt in it),and salt.Figured someone on here can steer my in the right direction.

If your going to be putting this in the smoker then yes use cure. If going right into a dehydrator then its your choice of Y/N

mez

Thanks I added cure .Hope I did the math right I'm still new to all this.It said 4 ounces per 100lbs of meat which broke down to .04 ounces per pound I have 2 lbs of meat so I used .08 ounces which is 1/2 teaspoon.does this sound about right?

viper125

I would add if your smoking. THe amount of salt in spices and cure should be pre figured out. Hope it works for you.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

OU812

Quote from: mez on January 14, 2012, 10:47:52 AM
Thanks I added cure .Hope I did the math right I'm still new to all this.It said 4 ounces per 100lbs of meat which broke down to .04 ounces per pound I have 2 lbs of meat so I used .08 ounces which is 1/2 teaspoon.does this sound about right?

Yes, rule of thumb is 1 tea cure#1 for every 5 lb of meat.