Bologna Question for the Experts - Help Please

Started by BBQIT, January 22, 2012, 05:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBQIT

Inspired by Kevin A's post on making Bologna, I decided to give it a shot.  I used the large Bologna casings from the Sausage Maker, so these are some pretty good sized chubs.  I made 10 lbs using 2 teaspoons of cure number 1.  The Bologna went in the smoker yesterday morning around 10 am and after the initial ramp up and smoke, the PID was set to hold the smoker cabinet at 165 degrees, looking for an internal sausage temp of 155 degrees.  About 11:30 PM last night, the internal temp on the sausage hit 150 degrees and there it sat until 7 AM this morning. Being somewhat concerned with the amount of time this sausge as been sitting at this temperature, I've moved it sausge to my roaster to try to finish it off by poaching.  My question is this - with the amount of time that this sausage will have taken to get to the finish temp of 155 (provided it ever gets there), is it still safe to eat?  As I stated earlier, I did use cure number 1.  Any expert help would be appreciated.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: BBQIT on January 22, 2012, 05:43:48 AM
Inspired by Kevin A's post on making Bologna, I decided to give it a shot.  I used the large Bologna casings from the Sausage Maker, so these are some pretty good sized chubs.  I made 10 lbs using 2 teaspoons of cure number 1.  The Bologna went in the smoker yesterday morning around 10 am and after the initial ramp up and smoke, the PID was set to hold the smoker cabinet at 165 degrees, looking for an internal sausage temp of 155 degrees.  About 11:30 PM last night, the internal temp on the sausage hit 150 degrees and there it sat until 7 AM this morning. Being somewhat concerned with the amount of time this sausge as been sitting at this temperature, I've moved it sausge to my roaster to try to finish it off by poaching.  My question is this - with the amount of time that this sausage will have taken to get to the finish temp of 155 (provided it ever gets there), is it still safe to eat?  As I stated earlier, I did use cure number 1.  Any expert help would be appreciated.

When you say good size chubs? Are you using the normal 2 1/4" round or larger 3-4"
10 lbs in your smoker is a load for larger chubs and it looks like you hit the stall. The Bradley being a great smoker just has a hard time with larger sausage/bologna smokes. This is normal when smoking. 150 IT you will be ok. If your going to use the hot water try not to exceed a water temp of 170-180 or you will fat out the chubs.

In other words as long as YOU are sure the IT of the smoker didnt drop to 140 and below, you will be fine at the 150.

Kevin A

What Nepas said....+1

I've hit smoker 'stalls' that seem to go forever (13 hour smoke on a large chub I did a while ago when making Jersey Pork Roll).
The last bologna chub I made was 120mm (4.7") diameter, so there was NO way I was going to cook it entirely in the smoker. I had too many other things to do than babysit my smoker for umpteen hours. Wound up doing about 2 hours smoke, followed by a leisurely 3-hour poach@165 degrees.

- Kevin

BBQIT

The casings are approximately 4 - 4.5" when stuffed.  NePaS, to answer your question regarding the temp, once the temperature reached 150, it never dropped below that; however, it took somewhere around 11 or 12 hours to get to 150 and I guess that's what concerns me.

Sailor

Just as the Master (Rick) said, you should be fine.  On Dirty Jobs they had an episode of a Bologna plant in PA.  Those guys hung there Bologna and smoked for days.  I think NEPAS has been to that plant.  I have had snack sticks that have taken over 12 hrs to get to temp.  Eat them all and I am still kicking.  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

GusRobin

As NEPAS and other said.The danger zone is 40* -140* so  you want to get out of that range as soon as possible. After that you should be ok based upon your description
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

In this case, I don't see why he would need to keep the bologna out of the danger zone. He processed 10 pounds of meat and fat, and used 2 teaspoons of cure #1.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BBQIT

Thanks everyone - I appreciate the feedback and advice.