temperature swing

Started by matrifia, January 22, 2012, 11:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrifia

Good day to all,

I have had my digital 4 rack smoker for 6 months now and i am enjoying it very much!
i made the dual element modofication and it cured many problems, especialy smoking in windy conditions
and -25 celcius weather.
the only issue with my smoker are temperature swings, what is consider a normal range?

Thank you

Nick
Montreal, Canada

mikecorn.1

Temperature swings are part of the Bradley. Don't know too much about it with the 2 elements. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Habanero Smoker

Hi matrifia;

Welcome to the forum.

It looks like you wired your second element to be controlled by the generator. Myself I would not chance running a dual element with out a third party temperature control device; such as a PID. Also with a device like a PID you would not get those swings.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

matrifia

I have wired the control box of the bradley to a relay thus taking the load off the control box entierly both elements go through a relay now
instaled inside the box.
What is a PID? does it replace the digital circuit of the bradley?

Thank you for the repply

TedEbear

Quote from: matrifia on January 22, 2012, 07:01:50 PMWhat is a PID? does it replace the digital circuit of the bradley?

From Wikipedia:  PID Controller

There are several PID controller options for the Bradley.  You can get the plug-n-play versions, which run from around $140 to $185, or you can get the do-it-yourself version that you mount inside a project box or the SG box (not sure if you can do that on the digital Bradley).  The DIY controller is a whole lot cheaper at around $45.  The various parts and accessories to make it all work will total up to around 1/2 the price of the plug-n-play PID controller.  A PID controller will keep the cooking chamber temp to within 2-3 degrees fluctuation.

You sound like someone who isn't afraid to wire a few things, since you said you wired the dual elements through a relay.  There are a few "how-to" articles on wiring the $45 PID controller here on the forum.

Single Probe Plug-n-Play Controller ($140)

Dual Probe Plug-n-Play Controller ($185)

Do-it-Yourself Single Probe Controller ($45)

matrifia

Thank you for the repply, appreciate it  ;)