Ghost Pepper Stick Idea

Started by carnie1, January 24, 2012, 07:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carnie1

Found an awesome spice shop here in South Florida so I picked up some of this
Any suggestions how much to use, say for a 5 lb batch of sticks, I want killer hot but edible, Pens , I've eaten the triple atomic wings at Quaker steak & Lube if that gives anybody an idea, They probably the hottest wings I've ever had though

mikecorn.1

Your insane :). Ive seen that ghost pepper on the food channel and it's nothing to play with. They even wear face masks with the filters when they grind them to make hot sauce :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

NePaSmoKer

DO IT DO IT

Step into the light   ;D ;D

Keymaster

Oh my, fill the bath tub up with ice water before you partake in any of that stuff ;)

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

ghost9mm

I'm surprised there is no smoke coming off your hands just holding that bottle...and when they say that is some killer hot sauce, they ain't lyin.... :-\
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

pensrock

Your a brave man Tony.  ;D
I can't tell from the bottle, are they whole dried peppers, pepper flakes or a powder? I suspect pepper flakes.
I have eaten a slice of a fresh Bhut and I can say WOW  :o was it hot. But it was different than most peppers. Most peppers you get most of the heat right away, not these babys they let the heat build over time. You think that was not too bad then bam it hits you. And it takes about 20 minutes for it to start to go away.
For a five pound mix I think I would put the ground pepper into the water I add to the mix and let the peppers rehydrate for a half hour or so. I'm just guessing but I think I would start off with less than I think would be needed and work my way up with the next batch. I'm thinking super hot sticks would need about a teaspoon but I would start off with 1/2 teaspoon. Wear rubber glove when mixing this into the meat!
You do not want them so hot you can't eat them and throw away the meat, if this batch is not hot enough you can add more next time till you get the level of heat you want.
You can also taste the mix before stuffing, if you do not want to taste the raw meat, fry a little chunk up to taste. Then add a little more if needed.

NePaSmoKer

Confucius say

Guys who play whith ghostly bhuts

Get burned   :o

Drac

I use a habanero extract in my candy cooking.  To give you an idea -

Jalapeno - 30K
Habenero - 300K
Ghost - 1,000K
Extract - 2,000K

Warning though, these are based on a "fresh" product.  Dried spices are normally concidered 3X as strong as the fresh so you might be using something in the area of 3,000,00 scovilles!!!

When working with it I would recommend desolving in a liquid.  I believe it will desolve in acis or alcohol to test the level of heat rather than the meat directly. 

Outside of that - GO FOR IT!!!!!

Jim
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

carnie1

Pens, I'd say its a crushed flake, I think i'm gonna start with a 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon and do a taste test first

carnie1

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 24, 2012, 09:40:26 AM
Confucius say

Guys who play whith ghostly bhuts

Get burned   :o

We's not afraid of da ghost are we?

Kevin A

I like a little heat in my food—much hotter than many folks I know—but there is a point where heat can overwhelm the flavor so much so that the only really taste sensation is the BURN. The heat fact is so ridiculous in the ghost pepper that it doesnt take much to completely mask all the other ingredients in whatever food product you're making. If one puts in too much of the ghost, one can pretty much make sausages out of old shoes & a pinch of salt for all you'll get is the burn in the final product.

Case in point was the ghost pepper salsa by Mrs Renfro.
After a few bites, one is left with numb lips and a burning-soon-to-be-numb tongue.
Really defeats the purpose of adding other ingredients as the heat completely dominates the experience.

Some people like the ultimate burn. I guess I'm just not one of those folks.

-Kevin

Tenpoint5

I am with you Kevin. I like the heat but I also like the flavor. I aint afraid of the Ghost just would use it in moderation in the sausage.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!