First Brisket - seems like a campaign, not just a smoke!

Started by fishrman, January 21, 2012, 01:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wthr_dude

I have done a few briskets now and have found I much prefer them left over and reheated in a crockpot with some apple juice or BBQ sauce, fresh out of the smoker/FTC always seems a little dry to me. 

With it just being me and my wife, we actually love doing whole Butts and Briskets, then vaccum packing and freezing meal sized portions for later reheating in the microwave.  We did one of each this year before deer season starting anticipating lots of late evenings and it worked out great.

fishrman

Thanks everyone for all your input.  That's one of the things I'm finding I like about smoking; even if it doesn't come out of the smoker perfect, it can still be turned into something great that carries the flavor forward.  I had the chopped brisket in bbq sauce for lunch yesterday and it was great.  I passed on a bag of it to the kids and I'm guessing I'm going to get a request for a refill!  I had a similar thng with salmon I smoked earlier this year.  I made a salmon spread with some of it, simply the smoked salmon in a food processor with cream cheese, and I had people who said they don't even like salmon asking for me to smoke more and give them spread - not fish!

Gotta go.  Time to turn the bacon curing in the fridge!

Batman of BBQ

Don't want to be the best in the world, just the best in my neighborhood.

1 OBS, Nuff Said

OldHickory

Nice job, and it sure seems like you had fun doing the smoke, that is at least 1/2of the plan.  The other half is great eats.  I don't  do many briskets, here in Ca. they are very expensive.  The last two I did I finished  the last half of the cook in the oven, foil wrapped with a little chicken broth added.  They were moist, tender, and the best I have made. 
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

fishrman

So the kids have weighed in. The vote is to "take another stab at the brisket and oh, by the way, if it still comes out dry, we'll be willing to have you make the chopped brisket/BBQ sandwich makings.". Good to have the support of the family.  ;D

Bacon in the fridge is getting firm.  Just a few more days until smoke time.  Slicer is on the way; ordered the Chef's Choice 915.

fishrman

OK, got the bacon done today and very pleased with how it turned out (http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=26815.0). Also, the brisket result has been gnawing away at me. Got to do better. So visited my supplier and picked up a 13 pounder today.  Stay tuned for Round Two - Tom vs. The Brisket! 

mikecorn.1

Quote from: fishrman on January 26, 2012, 11:19:01 PM
OK, got the bacon done today and very pleased with how it turned out (http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=26815.0). Also, the brisket result has been gnawing away at me. Got to do better. So visited my supplier and picked up a 13 pounder today.  Stay tuned for Round Two - Tom vs. The Brisket!
YOU GOT THIS! :D. Just as your prepping that bad boy, start playing the Rocky (movie) theme songs in your head. 8) :):D
Here ya go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

smokeNcanuck

fishrman,

I really enjoyed your post!  A real good write up I felt like I was there with ya.
I have done a few briskets with mixed results, I think it has A LOT to do with the quality of the meat.
I think some of the best ones I have done; I have marinated over night, seasoned, put in smoker(I usually only roll smoke for maybe 4hrs)
till IT around 160F then pull and double foil( tight as possible) then back in OBS.  Start checking for doneness around 180-190.  When I'm happy
with the "poke test" I will remove and FTC till I'm ready to serve.  I only use whole packer briskets, but as I said I have had some that have been
on the dry side(you know how to deal with that now ;))

This is the marinade I usually use: http://bbq.about.com/od/marinaderecipes/r/bl31115a.htm

I will not guarantee anything I have just said will help you, I was never here, and GOOD LUCK with you next one.
Stick with it and keep good notes, you'll hit a homer eventually!
cheers,
sNc
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

fishrman

Quote from: smokeNcanuck on January 27, 2012, 04:46:29 PM
fishrman,

I really enjoyed your post!  A real good write up I felt like I was there with ya.
I have done a few briskets with mixed results, I think it has A LOT to do with the quality of the meat.
I think some of the best ones I have done; I have marinated over night, seasoned, put in smoker(I usually only roll smoke for maybe 4hrs)
till IT around 160F then pull and double foil( tight as possible) then back in OBS.  Start checking for doneness around 180-190.  When I'm happy
with the "poke test" I will remove and FTC till I'm ready to serve.  I only use whole packer briskets, but as I said I have had some that have been

This is the marinade I usually use: http://bbq.about.com/od/marinaderecipes/r/bl31115a.htm

I will not guarantee anything I have just said will help you, I was never here, and GOOD LUCK with you next one.
cheers,
sNc

Question:  If you foil wrap, is there really any benefit to putting back in the smoker, or would it be just as effective to put in the oven?

mikecorn.1

Quote from: fishrman on January 27, 2012, 05:41:26 PM
Quote from: smokeNcanuck on January 27, 2012, 04:46:29 PM
fishrman,

cheers,
sNc

Question:  If you foil wrap, is there really any benefit to putting back in the smoker, or would it be just as effective to put in the oven?
Same. The Bradley without the
Smoke generator is just an oven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike