Cooked shrimp Question

Started by devo, February 17, 2012, 05:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

Picked up a bag of medium sized cooked shrimp 60/70 count. I wanted to try this recipe.
Since these are already cooked would I have to change anything like temp or cooking time?
Thanks

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?142-Smoked-Shrimp

Brine Ingredients:
1 quart water
1/4 C salt
1/4 C sugar (brown or white)
1 T black pepper
Directions:
Dissolve all ingredients with the water in a plastic bowl.
Brine them for 15 - 30 minutes or they'll be too salty.
Remove from brine allowing them to surface dry the way you do with fish (i.e. until a pellicule forms).
Brush them with butter mixed with the BBQ rub of choice.
Smoke at 200 F. Don't overcook lest they come out rubbery.

Comments:

Bassman:
Made a 1LB of Shrimp according to your recipe. Came out with very good texture but a little salty. I left them in the brine for 30 minutes, rinsed them really good and then smoked for approx. 1hr @170F.Very moist & tender,just too salty. Next time I will skip the brine completely and just marinate them.Or maybe use 1/2 the salt with 1/2 the time in the brine.

kjel:
I tried your shrimp brine recipe for jumbo shrimp and jumbo scallops the weekend of the 4th. 30 minutes in the brine, rinsed 4 times, laid out to dry for 15 minutes, put in the smoker (took 20 min to get up to 180F)and smoked for 20 more min. Wow! They came out perfect. Not too salty for me! Thanks for the suggestion.

Habanero Smoker

I'm not sure that already cooked shrimp will take in any of the brine. With the protein already denatured, and the cell membranes cook or destroyed, I don't believe osmosis will occur. I have heard of some cooking the shrimp in a brine, then storing them in a brine until they are served cold.

When I purchase already cooked shrimp, I alway prepare them to be serve cold, and never looked at the reheating instructions. I wouldn't bother to brine, lightly season and coat with oil. Then using your smoker reheat them while applying smoke.

But I feel reheating cooked shrimp will make them tough. I would go the cold smoke route, seasoned and lightly coated with oil; and serve them cold with a cocktail sauce, or as part of a salad.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

devo

Thanks Habs. I was thinking the same thing as that why I had questions  ;D