HELP! Smoke but no heat indicator light on brand new smoker

Started by chanus, January 05, 2012, 07:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chanus

Just got the OBS today, put it together, and plugged it in. The lights come on on the smoke generator but no light on the heat indicator and no heat. I have reseated all the cables multiple times and nogo. Now if I plug the long cord directly in to the smoker tower it lights up and heats up fine. And when the smoke generator is plugged in it works and makes smoke fine. So I can either make smoke or make heat, but not both. I have also checked the fuse on the back of the smoke generator and it's fine. Looks like the problem is either in the smoke generator (likely) or the jumper cord (not likely). Again I have plugged and replugged and reseated the plugs in as tight as a camel's butt in a sandstorm.

I have a big party Saturday that I'm supposed to be smoking for and am fairly worried we'll all be eating pizza at this point. Any ideas? I'll be calling the Bradley 800# in the AM but figured I'd make a post now to see if anyone has any tips. Thanks in advance for any help.

Habanero Smoker

Hi chanus;

Sorry to welcome you to the forum in this manner.

To me it sounds like you have a disconnected wire inside the generator. Open up the generator and check for loose wires. If you don't find any loose wires, check to make sure that the connected wires are solidly connected. Opening the generator will not void your warranty. The link below is about how to clean your generator, but also a guide on how to open and reassemble.
How to Clean the Generator

If I understand your problem right, and if you do not have time to get to it by Saturday, get a power strip so that you can plug the generator in one outlet, and the cabinet to another outlet. To do this you will need to use a desktop computer power cord, so you can plug the cabinet directly into the power strip. That way both will be working so that you can smoke/cook your food.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

habs has you  pointed in the right direction, good luck

chanus

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 06, 2012, 02:44:34 AM
Hi chanus;

Sorry to welcome you to the forum in this manner.

To me it sounds like you have a disconnected wire inside the generator. Open up the generator and check for loose wires. If you don't find any loose wires, check to make sure that the connected wires are solidly connected. Opening the generator will not void your warranty. The link below is about how to clean your generator, but also a guide on how to open and reassemble.
How to Clean the Generator

If I understand your problem right, and if you do not have time to get to it by Saturday, get a power strip so that you can plug the generator in one outlet, and the cabinet to another outlet. To do this you will need to use a desktop computer power cord, so you can plug the cabinet directly into the power strip. That way both will be working so that you can smoke/cook your food.

I will take it apart tonight and check connections, thanks for the link (and the help)! If that doesn't work I'll be using the computer cord method, kinda mad I didn't think of it myself actually, working for Dell :-[.

On the computer cord method, are you saying I can't plug both cords into the same outdoor outlet on my porch? It's this type:

There's only one outlet on my porch, to get to another outlet I'd have to use an extension cord (I have a heavy duty one) and run it to another outdoor outlet or run it inside. Personally I think the outdoor outlet can likely handle both being plugged into it, and maybe I'm misunderstanding your instructions, but if I shouldn't even attempt plugging them both into one outlet let me know. I'm thinking the worst that could happen is the breaker trips? My house was built only 3 years ago if that makes any difference.

Also of note, I have confirmed that the jumper cord is not faulty by plugging it into the long cord and then plugging it into the unit, powers up fine. So the problem is 100% inside the smoke generator and hopefully just a loose cable inside. Will update later tonight after I take it apart.

TedEbear

It sounds like just a loose wire in the SG box, as was mentioned.  It's covered under warranty but that would be more of a hassle than just removing the screws and reattaching the wire(s) that is loose.  Plus, you want it ready for this weekend.  Post pics of your first smoke.  What are you smoking?

Also, the total amp draw would be the same with two cords plugged into that wall receptacle as it would with just one and a jumper going from the SG to the tower.  No worries on tripping a breaker.  The Bradley just doesn't like a long extension cord going from it to a wall outlet.  Hard to get it up to the right cooking temp.

chanus

Quote from: TedEbear on January 06, 2012, 09:29:29 AM
It sounds like just a loose wire in the SG box, as was mentioned.  It's covered under warranty but that would be more of a hassle than just removing the screws and reattaching the wire(s) that is loose.  Plus, you want it ready for this weekend.  Post pics of your first smoke.  What are you smoking?

Also, the total amp draw would be the same with two cords plugged into that wall receptacle as it would with just one and a jumper going from the SG to the tower.  No worries on tripping a breaker.  The Bradley just doesn't like a long extension cord going from it to a wall outlet.  Hard to get it up to the right cooking temp.

Probably smoke some Cashews tonight after seasoning it to test her out and then I'm going to do some type of chicken and corn on the cob for Saturday. Want to keep it nice and simple at first to get the hang as I've never used an electric smoker. Then I'll move on to something more serious, probably brisket, next weekend.  :D

I agree the total amp draw would be the same, so I probably misunderstood what Mr Habanero was saying.

Habanero Smoker

Glad you are up an running.

As pointed out, using the two receptacles at the wall outlet is fine. What I was thinking accomplishes the same, but instead of using the two receptacles on one outlet, you plug a power strip (surge protector) into one wall outlet, and then use outlets on that to plug in both the generator and cabinet. But your way is easier.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

chanus

Got the smoke generator taken apart and sure enough one of the clips was disconnected in there. Reconnected and it's good to go. Thanks Habanero and everyone else, looks like we won't be having pizza tomorrow at the party after all!

One last thing, there is a piece of plastic missing, the little corner piece that goes on the top left corner right behind 'OPEN', couldn't find it anywhere in the packing materials either. I assume I just need to call Bradley Monday to get that piece sent to me. Y'all have a good weekend.

Habanero Smoker

Bradley will take care of that.

I would also give it one more close inspection. If two things were not assembled properly, there may be other issues. Many years ago I worked in a TV dinner factory. Sometimes in a factory setting, they speed up the conveyor belt to increase production, or there may have been one or more new employees working that day, or a variety of personnel problems.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

chanus

Just wanted to report back that Bradley sent me the plastic piece, AND threw in a spare burner, AND a pack of Apple pucks, AND it all arrived within a few days of contacting them. Excellent customer service!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: chanus on February 03, 2012, 07:39:02 AM
Just wanted to report back that Bradley sent me the plastic piece, AND threw in a spare burner, AND a pack of Apple pucks, AND it all arrived within a few days of contacting them. Excellent customer service!
Nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike