help ?

Started by dave, January 22, 2006, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave

hi dave here.new member needs some good advice  ,i have a redundant gas vent/stack to roof of house within a small cuboard  wich was used as a hot air heating system. could i use this for a smoker location with out turning the house into a much larger smoking location..?.where is the best location,i dont have a large yard or a garage .help ![:I]

bubbagump

Hi Dave, welcome to the forums.

Need a little more information.

1. Is the existing vent still in use. If it is forget about the remaining questions, you can't use it.

2. What size is it - diameter.

3. Approximately how long is it.

4. What climate do you live.

Bubbagump

nodak

Dave there are some site issues here, when it looks like your post didn't go check b4 posting it again.  It probably has posted.  Also it's very slow believe server is over in Europe.  You can go back and edit or trash your entries after posting also. You may want to go back and trash your other 3 same postings to clear up confusion.

Thanks and Good luck,
                     Mike

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

if vent is not in use yes it would work but need to make a flexible dryer hose from vent to top of smoker, will get some smoke smell in house, or Evan better rig a hood type vet/fan inside room attached to the vent and then get a variable speed fan or wire it into a dimmer switch to control the fan speed. and welcome to the forum[:)]

click on link to sign up for the 2006 free givaway. http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2809

dave

hi bubbagump,thanks 4 promt reply.vent is not in use.2.is 4"in dia 3.aproxx 3.5 metres to roofline ontop of house..4.live in south of england lots of wet..about 32f winter ave..and maximum 80 f summer.... just want too get smoking and dont want to upset the wife !! [:)]

nodak

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">dont want to upset the wife !! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Let me know how this works[:D][8D][:)] 10+yrs and everytime I think I have this figured out, I don't.[;)] Guess it's kind of like smoking some variable changes and you have to go as work/recipe in progress.[;)]

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

bubbagump

Hi Dave,

While others may disagree, I would not recommend using it.

I addition to getting rid of smoke you'll also have get rid of moisture, which will be much harder, especially in colder weather.

Any moisture that leaves the smoker will be in the form of steam, but at a rather low temp. and will condense quickly. This condensation will collect within the vent and then eventually drip back onto the smoker creating a mess.

Using a fan will help get rid of the smoke but won't do much of job getting rid of the moisture. I also don't like the idea of using a fan as it will pull the smoke out of the smoker too quickly.

Bottom line, though, I wouldn't recommend using the smoker anywhere indoors other than a garage.

Bubbagump

manxman

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.

I'm inclined to agree with bubbagump. In addition to the moisture there is always a small amount of leakage of smoke at some stage, for example when you open the door to change the water or rotate the trays, perhaps around the generator/smoker cabinet or even mild leakage around the door seal on occasions which is highly likely to result in a severely hacked off wife..... imagine having to explain oak smoked washing!!![}:)][:I]

I use mine under a car port in poor weather which works well. If there is no natural shelter there are one or two postings showing how people have got around weather proofing their BS's, perhaps one of the small upright wooden tool storage units from B+Q would work together with a tumble dryer type hose to vent? Do you have any room outside at all? Would security be a problem outside?
Manxman.
Manxman

Thunder Fish

Dave, give it a go,as far as using a fan you should have enough distance for natural draw(a fan would not hurt)the condinsation issue can be fixed by installing a "T" or "Y" fitting with a plug in the bottom of it, flex hose to the middle and top to the vent.The plug will catch moisture runng down the vent but not into your smoker.
 You will have some smoke in the house......how much, ask the little woman......[:)] Do make certain the vent is not in use by anything else or you might end up getting sleepy and passing off to the next world!
Terry

dave

wow guys thankyou for stream of sensible advice.i will take heed of it for sure when new  b/s arrives.nice to know there are others with  odd habits like loving food out there !p s will check out recipes you all hav posted for first attempts and let you know thanks. always willing to learn, dave.

manxman

Hi Dave,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">and let you know <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
As well as recipes it may be worth a posting showing how you set up your BS if you do end up following any advice posted here, it may well be of help to others in this situation...... particularly the wet and windy winters this side of the pond!

Also see this thread which includes use of a range hood:

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2862

Have fun![:)]

Manxman.
Manxman

JJC

Just wanted to say welcome to the Forum, Dave!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA