Circulation fan help/ TEMP UNEVEN

Started by mikecorn.1, February 05, 2012, 01:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

Thanks for the feed back Mike.  I have no earthly idea as to how to change the rotation on the fan  :o  Seems to be working the way I have it set up but would be interested in knowing how to change the rotation as I would like to tinker with it to see if I can improve what I have. 

Thanks again for the input.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

viper125

Dont understand why you think reversing fan wont change directions. I installed the fan blade backwards when I did my mod. Unaware of direction. Before I even used it I came on here and seen about pushing air forward to the door. So went out and took tissue and it was sucking to the rear. Reversed blade and it was blowing to the front. Another question I know you can reverse polarity on a dc volt motor to reverse it. But I didn't think that would work on AC.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Sailor on February 11, 2012, 10:56:21 AM
Thanks for the feed back Mike.  I have no earthly idea as to how to change the rotation on the fan  :o  Seems to be working the way I have it set up but would be interested in knowing how to change the rotation as I would like to tinker with it to see if I can improve what I have. 

Thanks again for the input.

Here was the write up I did when I originally did it.

I will try to explain how I did it. I used this motor http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1611772183

If you look at the picture of the motor in the link you will see the shaft is facing you. around the shaft is the bearing cap which is attached by long screws coming through the rear bearing cap. If you look and compare the two bearing caps the front one is thicker and it is threaded to accept the two screws and hold it all together. If the motor is being mounted from the back like it is on Old's site here; http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186 you want to remove both bearing caps, pull out the shaft which has the armature (I think that's what it's called) on it and reverse it. Now, if you are looking at the picture in my first link the shaft will now be sticking out the rear of the motor. When you reinstall the bearing caps make sure you put the deeper one (which used to be on the front) onto the back (opposite the shaft). I found the easiest way to remove the rear bearing cap was to gently tap the shaft at the rear of the motor with a small punch. This, of course after you have removed the two screws that hold it on. Now you should have the shaft with the armature and the front bearing cap still on it. To remove this I opened my vise and hung the armature by the bearing cap and gently tapped the bearing race. The race is the portion of the bearing right next to the shaft. This gently knocked the remaining bearing cap off. My motor was exactly as the photo in the first link. When I was done the mounting screws and bearing caps where still in the same position as in this picture. The only difference is the shaft is now sticking out the back (opposite side of the label facing you in the photo) and the motor runs counter clockwise.

I hope you can follow this... I guess I should have taken photos when I did mine.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

viper125

OK I misunderstood. You are reversing the armature to do it. Hmm I wasnt even aware you could do that. Nice to know. Thanks!
Inside setup.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: viper125 on February 11, 2012, 10:57:01 AM
Dont understand why you think reversing fan wont change directions. I installed the fan blade backwards when I did my mod. Unaware of direction. Before I even used it I came on here and seen about pushing air forward to the door. So went out and took tissue and it was sucking to the rear. Reversed blade and it was blowing to the front. Another question I know you can reverse polarity on a dc volt motor to reverse it. But I didn't think that would work on AC.

Your right, AC doesn't work that way.

Just for fun think of it this way, if you pretend you are looking down at the edge of your fan blade and note the angle of the blades. Take a piece of paper and draw a diagonal line the same direction. Next rotate the piece of paper 180 degrees. The result is the angle is the same and because you didn't reverse the direction of the motor the air flow will remain unchanged. This is why fan blades are made in both CW and CCW versions.

Mike

viper125

Hmmmm sounds correct t. Ill have to check that one out. Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Inside setup.

devo

Hey MIke
I don't have a Protractor.....wheres 180 degrees??

Just kidding, good post

TedEbear

Quote from: Mr Walleye on February 11, 2012, 11:10:43 AMYour right, AC doesn't work that way.

Well, 3-phase does but I don't think anyone has a 480V 3-phase fan motor on their Bradley.   ;D

Mr Walleye

Quote from: TedEbear on February 11, 2012, 02:43:40 PM
Quote from: Mr Walleye on February 11, 2012, 11:10:43 AMYour right, AC doesn't work that way.

Well, 3-phase does but I don't think anyone has a 480V 3-phase fan motor on their Bradley.   ;D

That would be a beast!  :D

Hey... wait a minute... I could... Oh never mind.  ::)  :D

Mike

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Mr Walleye on February 11, 2012, 02:49:07 PM

Mike

Oh Lord! Mike has got another idea!!!  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 12, 2012, 02:29:49 AM
Quote from: Mr Walleye on February 11, 2012, 02:49:07 PM

Mike

Oh Lord! Mike has got another idea!!!  :)

I can see it now...

All the street lights diming as I fire up the smokers.

Hey... I could use the power meter for a circulation fan!  ;D

Mike

Habanero Smoker

And your smoker hovering above the city.  ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)