replacement for non fat dry milk?

Started by Smoke some, February 10, 2012, 07:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoke some

Wanted to know if pasteurized skim milk powder is okay to use as a replacement for non fat dry milk?
or is their a better substitute for it like soy protein powder...... thanks for any replies

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Smoke some on February 10, 2012, 07:48:06 AM
Wanted to know if pasteurized skim milk powder is okay to use as a replacement for non fat dry milk?
or is their a better substitute for it like soy protein powder...... thanks for any replies

IMHO I would not use the pasteurized milk powder.

To substitute you can use.

regular powder non fat dry
rice flour
buckwheat flour (can be found in just about all markets that have a health food isle)
soybean flour
beef or pork fat trim
knox gelatin
clear karo
whey powder (non flavored)
corn syrup solids

OU812

And if you want some twang you can use butter milk powder.

Smoke some

Thanks for the reply s

This is the recipe I was going to make.
Thanks to the original author.

Old style Hot Dogs....For 10 lbs. If you want a 5 lb batch cut the recipe in half.

5 lbs lean beef 90/10 GB or grind your own...(venison is good also)
3 1/2 lbs pork butt
1 1/2 lbs beef fat or trim from a brisket
2 level tsp cure #1 (only if you plan on smoking, If not omit the cure)
5 Tbs non iodized salt
5 Tbs garlic granules (not powder)
2 Tbs white pepper
2 Tbs Mace
1 Tbs ground yellow mustard. If you have seeds grind them up
1 Tbs ground ginger....(very important)
1 Tbs ground coriander

The next two items are important for a good dog.
1/3 cup corn syrup solids.... You can use clear Karo syrup but you will not get the same taste. For 10 lbs of dogs use 3.20 oz
1/3 cup powder dextrose

1 cup cold water
2 cups non fat dry milk....(does not need to be pulverized)
32-36mm hog casing

If your grinding, grind the mix 3 times through the fine plate or use a food processor before you add the water and spices. You want to emulsify the meat.

Smoke the normal way with an IT of 152-155*

What would use recommend in this recipe for a replacement for 2 cups non fat dry milk?
Thanks for the help......

OU812

Smoke some

Thanks for the help OU812 and nepasmoker
I will give it a go with the soy .....this time.....

Keymaster

I would also use 2 cups soy protein concentrate

Smoke some

Quote from: Keymaster on February 10, 2012, 09:46:58 AM
I would also use 2 cups soy protein concentrate

thanks for the input Keymaster

pmmpete

I've made sausages which contained powdered milk, but I don't know the purpose for or consequences of including powdered milk or the alternative ingredients suggested by NePaSmoker in sausages.  What is the purpose? 

In addition, I have made snack sticks using a recipe which specified powdered buttermilk, which I didn't have, so I used powdered milk.  How would the sausages have tasted different if I had used powdered buttermilk?

OU812

Quote from: pmmpete on February 10, 2012, 10:37:42 AM
I've made sausages which contained powdered milk, but I don't know the purpose for or consequences of including powdered milk or the alternative ingredients suggested by NePaSmoker in sausages.  What is the purpose? 

In addition, I have made snack sticks using a recipe which specified powdered buttermilk, which I didn't have, so I used powdered milk.  How would the sausages have tasted different if I had used powdered buttermilk?

The powdered milk works as a binder and helps retain moisture, along with most of the powders NePas posted.

The powdered butter milk will give you a tangy taste, like in a slim jim.

Habanero Smoker

I like to keep the soy protein concentrate down to about 3%. That would be 1 cup (5 oz) for 10 pounds. If you go over 5% of the green weight you may alter the taste of you sausages. With powdered milk you can go up to 12.5%.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

I also think that you should add cure. Your using ground meat! Or at least i always do when using ground up meat.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Smoke some

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 10, 2012, 01:43:10 PM
I like to keep the soy protein concentrate down to about 3%. That would be 1 cup (5 oz) for 10 pounds. If you go over 5% of the green weight you may alter the taste of you sausages. With powdered milk you can go up to 12.5%.

Thanks for the heads up habs.....
just ordered non fat dry milk from the sausage maker......Its no where to be found in my area

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Smoke some on February 10, 2012, 02:40:08 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 10, 2012, 01:43:10 PM

Thanks for the heads up habs.....
just ordered non fat dry milk from the sausage maker......Its no where to be found in my area

Sausage Maker is a good source for many of your sausage making needs. I dpn't understand why you can't use pasteurized dry milk powder.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)