• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Casings

Started by Shasta bob, February 12, 2012, 09:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasta bob

I was wondering what the problem is when the mahogany casing doesn't come off the meat clean, i have seen this a few times it seems like the meat sticks to the casing. does anybody know what the problem is? Help.
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Shasta bob on February 12, 2012, 09:01:34 PM
I was wondering what the problem is when the mahogany casing doesn't come off the meat clean, i have seen this a few times it seems like the meat sticks to the casing. does anybody know what the problem is? Help.

I'm assuming you are talking about Fibrous casings. If so when you soak them prior to stuffing you can put a little liquid smoke in the water. That is supposed to help although I have never tried it. For me what works is to finish smoking them, allow them to bloom, then put them in the fridge for a least a half day. Next I pull them out and give them a 20 minute soak in cold water. The casings come right off once they have been re-hydrated. I usually allow them to bloom another hour or so after. I find if you try to take them off when the sausage is still room temp the meat tends to stick to the casings.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Shasta bob

Quote from: Mr Walleye on February 13, 2012, 06:15:07 AM
Quote from: Shasta bob on February 12, 2012, 09:01:34 PM

I'm assuming you are talking about Fibrous casings. If so when you soak them prior to stuffing you can put a little liquid smoke in the water. That is supposed to help although I have never tried it. For me what works is to finish smoking them, allow them to bloom, then put them in the fridge for a least a half day. Next I pull them out and give them a 20 minute soak in cold water. The casings come right off once they have been re-hydrated. I usually allow them to bloom another hour or so after. I find if you try to take them off when the sausage is still room temp the meat tends to stick to the casings.

Mike

Thanks mr. Walleye.
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

NePaSmoKer

Ditto with Mike

Plus there are collagen and fibrous protein lined casings that will cling to the meat.