glue job suggestions???

Started by DocZ, February 15, 2012, 02:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocZ

Trying to work out a stacked blade configuration on my 2' fan mod. Looking to combine a 3/16' dowel and best adhesive I can find for this high temp application---- any suggestions???

Salmonsmoker

Doc, you're probably looking for RTV sealant. It's a high temp silicone used as gasket material etc., car engines and such. Has a temp rating of 600F and I think I've seen ratings in excess of 700F.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

viper125

Yes, x2 the copper RTV should work fine.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

mikecorn.1

Yup. X3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

DocZ

So, I went with the "pro seal" hi-temp RTV and it seems to have done the job. Here's 2 pic"s of the stacked fan assy. I must say I haven't put it to a long test yet but it is working and I am very happy with the improved air flow. I used a 3/16'x1/2' dowel and temporarily closed down the set screw on the lead fan and butted the dowel against this before cinching the set screw on the stacked fan. This allowed me to get  a full bite on the motor shaft once I RTV'd the fans together. Essentially, the end of the dowel extended into the lead fan just enough to assure axial alignment of the stacked fan to the motor shaft. BTW, after lots of looking around I found that This set up may get me another 25% cfm. It seems that it definitely helped air flow. Here's the tech reference on "series" fans. http://www.ebmpapst-ad.com/media/content/technical_articles/TA_Using-fans-in-series-and-parallel.pdf

mikecorn.1

How much room do you have from the Back of the blade to the wall?
Mike

Salmonsmoker

JZ, have you noticed increased air flow with the stacked fan blades? I'm getting ready to do my mod, and if it works I'll head that direction.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on March 09, 2012, 06:40:14 AM
JZ, have you noticed increased air flow with the stacked fan blades? I'm getting ready to do my mod, and if it works I'll head that direction.

The answer to this is  here. JZ explains in datail what he got doing the two fan blades on one shaft.
Mike