NEWBIE In search for some friendly advice

Started by Consooger, February 17, 2012, 03:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

NEWBIE here, heard amazing things about this forum and was looking for advice. I decided to go to Cabela's and I bought a Bradley Digital 6 rack for about $300 unused. Looking at getting into smoking since I was spending tons of money on jerky and various other smoked meats and fish. I have been on this forum gathering tons of useful information but I want to make sure I get all my facts straight before getting really into this and I also don't want to make anyone sick in the process.

I plan on making jerky, ribs, brisket, turkey, fish etc in this thing and I was reading about curing the beef with jerky, do I need to cure all meats like I would for jerky or just jerky. If that's the case where is the best place to buy cure #1? I saw people talking about Cabela's but I only saw pre-seasoned packs that have cure in them. I also saw some pink dyed beef cure on Amazon, would this be a safe avenue to go?

With tmaking the jerky what is the best practice? I plan on smoking it and would like some flavorful smoke and I know it's not going to be perfect since this is a long hard road with ocntinual progress, I just want to get started on the right foot.

All the help is appreciated and look forward in sharing many many stories with the new Bradley Family!

- Consooger
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Fernslinger

I think it depends on how you plan on making your jerky. If you are going to smoke it and finish in a dehydrator then maybe you will want a cure?

Personally I do everything in the Bradley @ temps from 160-170 and never use a cure. I make my own marinades and only do whole muscle jerky. I am in no way an expert though. I am sure others will chime in with their 2 cents :)

NePaSmoKer

Consooger

Do yourself and anyone who you share your jerky with a favor. Use cure when in the smoker. If your going to hot smoke the jerky at 190 or above then cure or not is you choice. The moist smoking environment can rapidly produce bacteria and other nasty things which can double and triple real fast.

Using cure #1 in the marinade with temps from 140 thru 180 and low smoke from 1-2 hours and then into your dehydrator will work.

If you just marinate and then skip the smoker and go right into the dehydrator using cure is your choice.

Better to be safe and use modern cure than to be sorry later.....EH

My opinion. and 25 cents  ;D

Consooger

I do not have a dehydrator I was simply looking to smoke and then finish it on a lower temp for a certain amount of time in the smoker (if that is a a good option, I hear of lots of people doing it this way)

If I did it this way what is the preferred temp and length of having it done in the smoker?

Basically I was planning on marinading it and then smoking it for about 2 hours and then cooking. When making my marinade can I just ass cure #1 to that and then let it sit overnight without affecting the taste?

Thanks for all the help. I want this to be a good experience not a bad one. I want people to eat my stuff again! HAH

-John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

viper125

Smoke at 145-155 for jerky and use cure #1. any higher and your just cooking it.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Sailor

I don't have one of them fancy dehydrator machines  :o  I have made whole muscle jerky and GB jerky in the Bradley.  Made the stuff before I put the fan in and had to keep the racks rotated.  I kept the cabinet temp at 150 and they came out great!  Perhaps one day I might get a dehydrator but for now the Bradley is doing a fine job.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Consooger

Awesome thanks! I've been reading about these fans. where can you get them and where do you hook them up?

Also when you cure your meat do you make a cure mixture and set the meat in there first and then a flavor/marinade of your chosing or just mix the cure into the marinade and let the meat soak that in?

Thanks again for the help guys!
               -My Wife

hal4uk

Welcome aboard Consooger!

I don't make jerky or sausage, but IF I DID, I'd do whatever NePaSmoker told me to do.
I could give you 1000 reasons WHY, but I ain't got the time.
Just giving you a heads up.

Happy Smoking!
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Consooger on February 18, 2012, 10:43:01 PM
Awesome thanks! I've been reading about these fans. where can you get them and where do you hook them up?

Also when you cure your meat do you make a cure mixture and set the meat in there first and then a flavor/marinade of your chosing or just mix the cure into the marinade and let the meat soak that in?

Thanks again for the help guys!
I got my fan kit from smokeandstuff ,others put their own together from scratch, I dont have time so I opted for the kit. Comes with everything you need including template of where to place. Others use different fans from other appliances.
I mix my cure in with seasonings in water  and then  mix into my meat. It helps in distribution throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Smokin Sparky

I usually buy all of my spices and cure from Butcher & Packer.  I have been extremely impressed with their quality and rapid response when ordering.

Blake
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

ghost9mm

Consooger...you have received some real good information from the folks here on the forum, their is a wealth of information here...what NePaSmoKer posted is something to pay attention to...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

viper125

X2 lots of good advise here from many members. Nepasmoker is defiantly one who knows what he's doing.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Indy Smoker

I use the LEM Jerky seasoning and add in fresh ground peppercorns.  Use just the Bradley to finish (no dehydrator) vent full open for 6-7 hours rotating racks every hour.  Good Luck!

12AMNSX

My thought is that if the temp is high enough for you not to need a cure, then you are cooking and not drying.  Therefore I always use a cure.  When the temp is high there is a fine line between being done and over-done.