Power not getting to generator

Started by j2t, February 20, 2012, 01:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j2t

Hi, I have the original in SS.  At least I think so, it was given to me by my father in law.  It has been working great for the 2 years I have had it until today.  Turned it on to preheat it for some salmon.  Came back about an hour later to check it and it was getting no power to the generator (light on generator not on).  Tried reseating all of the plugs, still nothing.  Checked the outlet was working and it is fine.  Fuse is perfectly fine.  Opened up the generator and checked/reseated all of the connections inside and everything seems fine.  Any ideas what else could be wrong?  I'm at a loss here.

Thanks
Jared

Mr Walleye

j2t

Does the generator try to cycle and just the puck burner not heating up or does nothing work?

What about the manual feed button, does it work?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

j2t

Nothing works.  In classic fashion when I first noticed it after plugging and unplugging things, I smacked the box and saw the light flicker so thought it might be a loose connection.  After taking it apart and reseating every connection I can't even get the flicker by smacking it now.

beefmann

j2j

Did you  check the fuse with a ohm meter or  visually ?... if with a ohm meter it  should read zero ohms  which shows that  fuse is good and has continuity.  it sounds  like you  have a bad connection somewhere in the generator or somewhere between the plug and generator,, if it  sits  outside all the time,  maybe   some corrosion on terminals that need to be cleaned.   

Mr Walleye

j2j

If you take the generator apart check the wires that go to the fuse holder. A few years ago I had a wire break/ burn off the end of the fuse holder.

To me if there is no power to anything in the generator it must be between the plug and the fuse or fuse holder. Certainly it;s loosing power before it splits off to the puck burner and the puck advance motor. I would check between the plug on the generator and the fuse holder to see if you have continuity there.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

j2t

bah, looks like its the fuse.  Visually it looks perfectly fine but I just checked it with the meter and there is no continuity.  There goes thinking of seeing a busted fuse to know.  I'll have to go pick up a new fuse and I think that should fix it.  Thanks guys.