• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Kirby Does It Again!

Started by Habanero Smoker, February 23, 2012, 02:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecorn.1

Thanks for the lesson :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Habanero Smoker

I learned to emulsify in a specific way. When I make emulsified sausages I go by temperature of the meat. I also grind the meat and fat separately (if I have additional fat to add), and keep the fat separated until a specific step. I add the seasonings to the ground meat (keeping the ground meat cold), but do not add the fat or powdered milk at this time. The first step in the mixing process is to add crushed ice or ice water to the meat, and process until the temperature of the mixture is at about 40°F. If I have additional fat to add, I add it at this time (when the meat is at 40°F), and continue to process the meat until it reaches 50°F. After it hits 50°F, I add the powdered milk (or soy protein concentrate) and process until it is mixed in well (about 30 sec to a minute). The reason you delay adding the powdered milk, is because if you use it at the beginning it will bind up too much water, and make it more difficult for the meat to emulsify. I try to be careful not to go above 58°F, and 55°F is safer. As ExpatCanadian stated; if the mixture gets too warm (60°F), the fat will separate from the protein, and the mixture will be ruined.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

Well I will use my new pen to keep track of the temp. Could very well be my problem. I did run the food processor  quite a while on each 1/4 lb batch maybe a minute or more. Could it heat up that quick?
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

I've never emulsified meat in that small of a batch. With that amount, I would say it could be possible.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

ExpatCanadian

This thread has got me thinking again about trying to find a small commercial quality bowl cutter....  and I've found the following which looks promising:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160607568521&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Thing is, it's listed as a "vertical cutter" yet the blade is clearly horizontal.  Still Kenwood is a decent enough brand. I've fired off a question to the seller to see whats up...

Also found this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270906508573?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1139wt_1185

...but doesn't look as nice and has a plastic bowl.  To be honest these look more like heavy duty catering food processors...  so probably still not quite what I'm after!

Habanero Smoker

Both of those look like they could do a good job. See if they are belt driven or gear driven. The gear driven ones are more heavy duty, and can make quick work of any job.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

pikeman_95

Habs.
The blade is made I will have pictures for you tonight. I will get it boxed and ship Tomorrow.
Kirby

pikeman_95

OK made it home and snapped a  couple of pictures. Habs ordered this as he wants to make some emulsified sausage. The first shot was to make a plastic blade that he could run either direction but I though I should do one better. I made a stainless blade that is very sharp and should do the job. Here are some pictures and this is off to Habs tomorrow. cutter with normal mixing blade shown also.

Kirby

viper125

Wow that should do it! That looks wicked.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Salmonsmoker

That looks like the real ticket Kirby. I'm thinking you can put the mixing bucket in a bucket of larger diameter with an ice water bath, and emulsify without having to worry about the product getting warm on you. Nice job!
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

carnie1

If that doesn't do it , nothing will, Too bad my welding teacher/ friend retired or I'd go over the school and whip one of those up, Anxious to see how it does cause hot dogs are on my list before I head back north.

JZ

That's amazing and you do very nice work.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks Kirby.

I can't wait to use it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.