First brisket this weekend. Few questions

Started by Consooger, February 24, 2012, 03:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

So after I finally got all my stuff for my 6 rack and it's dialed in and ready to go I have a few questions about how to go about my brisket. I'm cooking this for my fiance and her family so I basically don't wnt it to suck because I will never hear the end of it. Anyways.....

I made a batch of Jan's rub (by the way it smells and tastes awesome) and I just got a big container of Gunpowder that came in yesterday. What would be the recommendation to go on this? It's a Wegman's store bought and has been in the fridge for about 2 weeks at a temperature of 36-38 degrees so I'm thinking of cutting her open and seasoning it and letting sit for 24 hours just not sure which seasoning to go with. They are both amazing!!! Decisions decisions....

NOW the big question IS....this brisket is about 8 lbs and I want to have it to eat around 6-630 at night. When should I start to smoke this and cook this so it is done in time. I have read cook about 1.5 hours per lb and I want to smoke for at least 2 hours with either hickory or Jim Beam wood. Any suggestions on the cook time with this? Main problem is that I work night shift and I don't get home until 8-9 in the morning. I don't think I have enough time to get this done by 6 PM.

Any feedback would be awesome.

Thanks!

John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

TedEbear

Hi John,

Other more experienced brisket smokers will probably be by later.  I smoked my first brisket last weekend.  I aged it in the fridge for two weeks. The last two days I mixed a rub recipe that I'd found via Google and applied it before starting the smoke.

Chamber temp was 225*F and your estimate of 1.5-2 hour per lb was about right as far as how long it took.  I did 3 hours of hickory. I pulled it out when it reached internal temp of 180*F.

I then did a FTC for 3 hours with 2/3 cup of apple juice. Then I put it back in the fridge for 4 hours before cutting.  I mainly did that last part because it was 5:00am and I was too tired at the time to mess anymore with it.  When I was ready to cut it up I put it in the oven at 350*F for an hour wrapped in foil with apple juice before slicing.

I don't know if it was the apple juice or what but that thing was very tender, excellent flavor and a huge success.  Maybe I just got lucky my first time but I hope I can repeat the results.

Ka Honu

First, the joy of brisket is in the flavor of the beef so you really don't need a fancy rub.  I favor 1 part salt, 2 parts granulated garlic, and 3-4 parts pepper (and the garlic is optional).

An eight-pound flat can take anywhere from 10-20 hours and you can't predict which end of the spectrum ahead of time.  The easiest (not necessarily the best) way is to smoke (I usually use oak and/or mesquite) it for about 4 hours at 225-250o and then move to the house oven at the same setting until done (180o IT. You can then FTC for a few hours before serving.

If you have to cook ahead and reheat because of your schedule, foil-wrapped in a low oven (or even a crockpot) works.