• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork and Shrimp Sausage (Revisited)

Started by Tenpoint5, February 25, 2012, 11:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Pork and Shrimp Sausage Revisited

Revisited you ask??
Yep tried something new here http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=24613.0  Now I am trying it again and tweeking it!

My Physical Terrorist took a trip to the South Padre Islands and up along the Gulf coast. She brought me back a 5 pound bag of Shrimp for $20. Figured I needed to revisit the Pork and Shrimp recipe and revamp it some to try and get something better or at least different. Here is my musings and documentation of the whole process.

First the Shrimp

I broke down and packaged up the big bag of shrimp and saved 1.78 pounds of shrimp.  Found me a bag of Zatarains Crawfish, Shrimp and Crab Boil

The directions called for 4 TBS of salt and Half of a Lemon. Might be too much salt in the final product, cut that back to 2 TBS. Didn't have a fresh Lemon so 1 TBS of Lemon juice added to the water. Brought that to a rolling boil.

Everybody in the Jacuzzi!!

After about 1.5-2 minutes Everybody out!!

Ran the shrimp under some cold water to cool them off and stop the cooking. Tasted one and it tasted like regular water so a quick dip back in the Jacuzzi for some flavor. Once they cooled off some more. Ripped all of the swimming suits off.

Reserved about 10 oz of the Bath water.

Chopped/Sliced up all the shrimps

That aint gonna be enough!! >:( HHHmm Momma just opened a bag for her salad and she didn't use much at all. It's mine!!! :D

OK Now that the Shrimps is in the fridge, with 2 oz of juice on them for moisture and flavor, chilling out. It is time to mix up the flavors for this party. Started this whole thing off like this:

3 2 Tbs Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
2 1 1/2 Tbs Granulated Garlic
4 Tbs Minced Onion
1 teaspoon Allspice
1 teaspoon Thyme
1/2 teaspoon Basil
2 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 Tbs + 1 teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
1 Tbs Crushed Red Pepper

Mixed that all into the meat

Mixed 1 teaspoon of cure #1 into the remaining 8 oz of Bath water

Mixed in the Cure and the Shrimp

Fried up a small patty for a taste

Didn't quite have the taste and flavor that I wanted so I went back and altered the original mix. (Changes are in red above) Fried up another little patty tasted much better. Put everything in the fridge to rest overnight.

This morning I fried up a little patty after mixing everything up again. Really like the way the flavors melded together. Had to dump a bunch of juice off the patty so they should be really juicy in a casing.

Loaded up the stuffer and cranked out and tied off some links. Used 32mm Collagen casings since I didn't have any Natural hog on hand this morning. I tied the casing off into about 6 inch links. Tying is easier than twisting FOR ME when working with collagen.

Went out and fired up the 6 rack DBS and set it to 120º loaded in the sausage for an hour to dry. Then bumped up the temp to 140º applied 2 hours of Hickory smoke.

Smoke just finished so I bumped the temp up to 150º for a little while. then will bump to 160º. Here's what they look like after the smoke was applied.

More to come when it happens. I still have a few more tricks to pull out of my sleeve on this Mad Scientist adventure. I even called to verify some of the techniques with fellow forum members!! Just have to keep them quiet till I post me doing them and why!

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

ghost9mm

Really sounds good and looks good Chris, will be watchin for the finish...how is the shoulder coming along?
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

cobra6223

nice to see a great mind not going to waste, they look good so far Chris.
Tim

Habanero Smoker

Lets not turn this into rocket science.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 25, 2012, 01:10:53 PM
Lets not turn this into rocket science.  :)

Heck No that would take all the fun out of it!

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Keymaster

Glad to see yah back on the front line Mister :)

Tenpoint5

Just checked and they is running along at 125º IT, looking for 142º. They is taking on some real nice mahogany color

Keymaster

Very Nice color, mama's gonna like how yah cooked her shrimp up for her ;D

devo

Just looking at the color makes you just want to dive into one of those

SouthernSmoked

Looking good Chris!

Someone will be eating good tonight!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

mikecorn.1

Very nice, I remember the other thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

seemore

viper125

Well Chris you've don it again!!!! Looks very good and will soon try. I was wondering are those Mahogany casings or are you doing some thing special to get that rich dark coloring to the case? Seems to be a light color starting out. I also like the stepping up the pepper and the heat. Great Job guy!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

10.5 Mobile

The sausages turned out better than I could have ever expected. I will post more pictures in the morning I'm beat