Smoked Cured Green Ham

Started by rcger, February 26, 2012, 05:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcger

I'm going to be preparing Hab's Smoked Cured Ham for Easter.  I've done this before with a bone-in ham.  I'm thinking of having the butcher de-bone the ham and net it.  Would this make any difference in the curing process?  Thanks in advance.  BTW, this is the BEST ham I've ever put in my mouth.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Habanero Smoker

Thanks.

Keep it netted, and you can cure it the same way. It may cure a little faster, but not that significant to change the curing times.

I'm not sure when you last made it, but just after Christmas I changed the recipe and reduced the salt by 3 ounces (a little more then 1/4 cup). The changes are reflected on the recipe site, and the latest down load. It's not as salty. This Easter I'm thinking about reducing the salt even further, then lengthening the curing time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rcger

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 26, 2012, 01:30:52 PM
Thanks.

Keep it netted, and you can cure it the same way. It may cure a little faster, but not that significant to change the curing times.

I'm not sure when you last made it, but just after Christmas I changed the recipe and reduced the salt by 3 ounces (a little more then 1/4 cup). The changes are reflected on the recipe site, and the latest down load. It's not as salty. This Easter I'm thinking about reducing the salt even further, then lengthening the curing time.

Thanks, Habs!  I appreciate the reply.  I'll have to download the updated recipe.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Habanero Smoker

As I'm getting geared up for my Easter ham, I was rethinking this last evening. The next time I will probably increase the maple syrup and brown sugar to 1/2 cup each, and leave the salt as it currently is. That should produce a sweeter ham, with less salt taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)