Andy Dandy Pastrami

Started by devo, March 04, 2012, 11:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

Saw a friend of mine who I lost contact with over the years. He was going to school to be a chef. Well he now has his own restaurant and we got talking about smoke food, and the subject came up about Pastrami and he asked if I ever made any.  ??? Well yes once but I really wasn't happy the way it turned out but he talked me into trying again. So here it is. A 7 lbs. beef brisket after it spent 5 days in the fridge to cure. Used a wet cure.
This is after I reapplied spice's and before going into the smoker.

After two hours of Hickory smoke and another 5 hours with no smoke it was standing around 150* F and I read someplace to steam it to finish so I did. Got the roaster out and in no time it was at 160* F

This is it cut open, very happy with the curing process. It went all the way trough. And man the kitchen smelt great while it was in the roaster.

A close up pic

Had to taste it and WOW is it good. Going to let it rest in the fridge for a day or so before slicing.
It's called Andy Dandy because his first name is Andy  ;D

ACW3

I haven't done a pastrami from scratch, but I have done pastrami using packaged corn beef.  Yours looks fantastic.  I am getting ready to try my hand at corning my own brisket.  We'll see how it turns out.

Art
MAK 2 Star (# 171)
Weber Kettle (old school charcoal)
KCBS CBJ
NCBS

SiFumar

Looks really good!  Really like the packed on coating of spices.

ghost9mm

Killer, Killer, Killer....looks just plain awesome...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

mikecorn.1

That close up pic is $$$!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

slowpoke

Those pictures got my taste buds watering.Looks great Devo.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

KyNola

beefmann

devo

Thanks guys, I'm very pleased with the way this came out.

All sliced up.

And vac sealed for the freezer.