Canadian Bacon

Started by bates1sniper, March 08, 2012, 07:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bates1sniper

A year or two ago someone posted a great sounding recipe for Canadian Bacon. It was someone who posted on here all the time I remember, but I just cant remember who it was and where to find it again. He started out talking how the pork loin was bought I believe at SAMS, But it was brined for like 10 days, and then smoked. He had many good pictures of all his steps for start to finish. The finish product was the canidian bacon with fried eggs. Looked pretty dang good. Well I am really wanting to try this, so if anyone may know what I am talking about please help me find the link.
thanks,
Brandon

beefmann

I am unable to point to who that is as well, though i have a recipe that i use for Canadian bacon

1/2 tablespoon Morton tender quick per pound
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar per pound
1 teaspoon per pound garlic powder
1 teaspoon per pound onion power

optional

1 teaspoon per pound of black pepper  if you  like it a bit  hotter

made it both ways and prefers it  with black pepper

bates1sniper

Beefman,
Thank you for your recipe. So how long to you smoke/cook it for?

KyNola

I thought MTQ required 1 TBSP per pound of meat???????

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: KyNola on March 08, 2012, 08:35:00 PM
I thought MTQ required 1 TBSP per pound of meat???????

For whole muscle meat the Morton's instructions require 1 tablespoon per pound. I don't have the time to calculate the ppm, but using 1/2 tbs/lb I believe is around 75 ppm which is good enough for protection, for protection you need at least 50 ppm. Also that amount will provide the reddish color, but for me not much cure flavor. But again I haven't calculated it, so I am not 100% positive on the ppm.

Here is my recipe:

Canadian Bacon

If you don't have Morton's Tender Quick, you can easily make a substitute.

Basic Dry Cure

If you make the whole batch, that will be enough to cure around 56 pounds of meat. So if you don't do that much curing you may want to halve or quarter the recipe. You can use the Basic Dry Cure for curing belly bacon, and making corned beef/pastrami. After making the Canadian bacon, you can cold smoke it, and slice it thick and serve as smoked pork chops.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)