What would you do?

Started by 4given, March 08, 2012, 11:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

Just got the new Bradley last night. Still need to season it. I was planning on doing a pork butt for pulled pork this weekend for the "First Smoke"  My daughter calls. She says her husband is off Friday and they are coming over with the baby for dinner. "Daddy will you cook something in your new smoker?"  Can't say no.......... wouldn't want to!  :)

So..........  do I start a butt tonight and finish it the oven tomorrow?  Or smoke something else like chicken?  :-\

My wife will be off tommorow to watch the smoker ..................

Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

mikecorn.1

IMHO. I dont trust my wife with the smoker especially if something goes haywire. ;D. I would go with the yard bird tomorrow. Again, just me :). Just remember to cook to IT  not by time. Keep the vent open and finish on the grill to crisp up the skin.
I YIELD BACK TO THE OTHER MEMBERS!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

muebe

Stuffed smoked pork loin. Cooks fast and taste delicious ;)

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

KyNola

I think I would quickly season your new Bradley, then throw a butt in it, get 4 hours of smoke on it and then transfer it to your house oven set at 225.  If it were me and using it for the first time I would want to be there the entire time to get to know my smoker.

4given

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on March 08, 2012, 11:40:02 AM
IMHO. I dont trust my wife with the smoker especially if something goes haywire. ;D. I would go with the yard bird tomorrow. Again, just me :). Just remember to cook to IT  not by time. Keep the vent open and finish on the grill to crisp up the skin.

And that IT would be?
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

4given

Quote from: muebe on March 08, 2012, 11:42:03 AM
Stuffed smoked pork loin. Cooks fast and taste delicious ;)

That sounds great but I just bought 2 ten pound pork butts!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

4given

Quote from: KyNola on March 08, 2012, 11:43:11 AM
I think I would quickly season your new Bradley, then throw a butt in it, get 4 hours of smoke on it and then transfer it to your house oven set at 225.  If it were me and using it for the first time I would want to be there the entire time to get to know my smoker.

Yeah the thought of not being there gives me a sick feeling............

Cook to an IT of 195 - 200?

Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

mikecorn.1

Quote from: 4given on March 08, 2012, 11:46:41 AM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on March 08, 2012, 11:40:02 AM

And that IT would be?
Something as simple as a stuck wood puck or maybe a small power surge that shuts the smoker down and you have to reset it. Happened to me ;D. May have nothing to do with the smoker per say.
I love my wife and she is a great cook in the kitchen. But she does not  go near my SRG, Bradley, or traeger.  Not that I tell her she can't but she feels intimidated by them. :)

Mike

beefmann

KyNola

Yep, IT on the butts 195-200 is where I would want want to take them.

4given

I think I will cut one butt in half and smoke it tonight then have my wife stick it in the oven tomorrow morning.

When in the oven do you cook them uncovered on a rack?
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

mikecorn.1

You can do on s rack with a pan underneath.

Mike

mhiykmeel63

Ive actually used a large throw away  aluminum roasting pan that the rack will fit in. I normally dump a can or two of beer in and then cover with foil. Not sure if the pro's would agree or not but Ive had good luck with it.

KyNola

My personal preference is no foil, on a roasting rack in a roasting pan.  No liquid in the roasting pan.  The reason I do it that way is because I like a pronounced bark.  Just my personal preference.

4given

Quote from: KyNola on March 08, 2012, 08:38:06 PM
My personal preference is no foil, on a roasting rack in a roasting pan.  No liquid in the roasting pan.  The reason I do it that way is because I like a pronounced bark.  Just my personal preference.

I cut one of the butts in half, smoked for four hours last night, put it in the oven on a V rack at 225 and it has been in there all night. IT was 160 this morning. I looked at it and thought "The bradley would have the water bowl in there" so I put two cups of water in the pan this morning........ Dang it......  maybe I should have left well alone......................

My wife is home with the Maverick monotoring the temp and will do the FTC when the time comes (after calling me of course!)
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100