Round 2 & 3 Smoked Chuck Roast & Prok Butt with Jan's Rub!!

Started by 4given, March 11, 2012, 11:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

Check these out!  My next door neighbor brought ove two chuck roasts to smoke and told me I could keep one. Rubbed thgen down with oil & Jan's Rub.  So I cold smoked them for 4 hours, took his to him and put mine in the crock pot on low overnight. Turned out was good! Pulled Beef!

Here is the pulled beef:

Saturday morning took my other pork butt that I cut in half and had been in the fridge for a day with the Jan's rub soaking in into the Bradley. Smoked it for 5 hours and finished cooking it in the Bradley at 255 until it got to 195. I FTCed it overnight. I opened up this morning and pulled it before church! Man o Man! It was WAY BETTER than the first! Here are the pix!

Rubbed & rested...........

After 16 hours in the Bradley.............

This morning after an overnight FTC. it was still warm!

Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

slowpoke

If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

mikecorn.1

That's some crazy looking bark. Nice !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

4given

Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

SiFumar

Sailor

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

muebe

Very nice job!

Looks like you already got a hang of that smoker ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

ghost9mm

Yes Sir ... that is one great job there partner....well done my friend...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Batman of BBQ

Don't want to be the best in the world, just the best in my neighborhood.

1 OBS, Nuff Said

Consooger

OH MY LORD, I hope my butt that I cook in a few weeks has bark like those. THEY LOOK INCREDIBLE!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

4given

Quote from: Consooger on March 12, 2012, 03:03:16 AM
OH MY LORD, I hope my butt that I cook in a few weeks has bark like those. THEY LOOK INCREDIBLE!

That bark using Jan's rub was the best I have ever tasted............... and to think ... it only gets better from here!

Truly the Lord is faithful and rich with blessings1
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

larryk

My first smoker (BS611) should arrive Wed or Thur.  I have a couple questions from this thread....what is FTC and where do I get Jan's rub?

TedEbear

Quote from: larryk on March 18, 2012, 06:02:57 PM
My first smoker (BS611) should arrive Wed or Thur.  I have a couple questions from this thread....what is FTC and where do I get Jan's rub?

You make the Jan's Rub:

Jan's Rub Regular

Jan's Rub Spicy

FTC stands for Foil-Towel-Cooler.  After whatever you're smoking is finished cooking you can keep it warm by wrapping it in foil, then a towel and then placing it all in a cooler or ice chest for a few hours.  Comes in handy if the food gets done sooner than you expected and you have people coming over at a certain time.  Also, the FTC for a few hours helps redistribute the juices in the meat before slicing or pulling.  I usually add a bit of apple juice in the foil.

KyNola

The cooler or ice chest should contain no ice.  It should be empty.  You can also use a microwave oven instaed of a cooler, just make sure no one comes along and turns it on.

BTW, Jan of Jan's Dry Rub fame is my wife! 8)

viper125

Very good Job! That Jans Rub is hard to beat! We use it on everything. Love that pork butt bet it tasted awesome!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.