Stupid Pork question???

Started by Consooger, March 08, 2012, 03:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

Been blaring my smoker for a few weeks now. Made an amazing brisket, made 10 lbs of jerky, made some KILLER pistachio's, now I want to try some pork. I basically want to make pulled pork to eat straight up and with sandwiches, etc. I just bought a pork shoulder from my local Wegman's and was wondering if I can do that with that cut of meat or should I get a different cut? If I should get a different cut what are the best recipies for the shoulder? The shoulder is boneless.

Also while I'm at it, should I cure this or just let in the cryo pack for a few more weeks and then rub it down, sit for 24 hours and then smoke it?

Thanks for all the help and all the pics form recent smokes soon to be posted.

John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

beefmann

yes you  can do that  cut of pork, i would season it  with your  favorite rub, smoke it  for  3 hours of  maple and oak, with a box temp of 225 and take to an it of 195 to 200,,, 200 will make it easier to pull generally.

as  for the  length of time it  will vary do to the  moisture content in the  meat, good rule of thumb is 1 to 1 1/2 hr lb

KyNola

John,
My friend Beefmann has given you good information.  I usually do 4 hours of smoke with hickory but that is just personal taste.  One thing you need to know.  The shoulder is going to "stall" somewhere around 150-160 IT.  The IT will stop rising, possibly for several hours.  That is exactly what you want to have happen.  That is when all the magic happens.  All of the connective tissues are breaking down and beginning to make the pork pullable.  Resist the urge to bump up your cooking temp to get the IT to start rising again.  Trust me, it will begin to rise again. :)  The wait will be worth it.

Periodically check your water bowl and don't let it go dry.  Even after you are finished burning pucks you want water in the bowl to help prevent a grease fire. :o

Consooger

OHHHHHH I LOVE IT HERE!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

KyNola

Quote from: Consooger on March 08, 2012, 09:02:21 AM
OHHHHHH I LOVE IT HERE!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
That be why we are here! ;)

dman4505

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

irish_smoker

Quote from: KyNola on March 08, 2012, 07:51:43 AM
Periodically check your water bowl and don't let it go dry.  Even after you are finished burning pucks you want water in the bowl to help prevent a grease fire. :o

I've taken someones suggestion from several years ago and use the smaller (about 12x10) alum trays in place of the water bowl, they obviously hold more water so you aren't having to change out the bowl as often.....just make sure to fill it with hot water.

MidKnightRider

I set a alum tray on the rack under my pork, pour a beer or 2 in and let it collect all the drippings off the pork.
Defat it when you are finished and mix a little back into the pork when you warm the left overs back up or a little over the pulled pork.
It's great.
You can also do the F.T.C. for about 1 hr or more when you pull it out and the pork will be better, helps redistribute the moisture into the meat before you pull it.
F.=foil
T=towel
C.=Cooler
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist