• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Corned Beef .....Help!

Started by Sailor, March 15, 2012, 01:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

So my Sister-in-Law is coming down and asked my wife if I can smoke a corned beef.  Heck.....if its meat it can be smoked I tells my wife.  Well,  I never done a corned beef before so anyone got any hints or recipes?  This is a pretty much last min thing beings that she wants it for St. Patties day.  That is in 2 days.  So if I got to some brining or anything else it may not get done. She is doing corned beef and cabbage.  Any help with this would be appreciated.

Jim

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

squirtthecat

Watching this...    I'm doing the same thing on Saturday.  (times 4)

FLBentRider

Isn't smoked corn beef pretty much pastrami?

If anything you want to un-brine (soak) it for an hour or so.

I would smoke it to an IT in the 180+ range.

May the luck o' the Irish be with you!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SiFumar

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 15, 2012, 01:19:37 PM
Isn't smoked corn beef pretty much pastrami?

If anything you want to un-brine (soak) it for an hour or so.

I would smoke it to an IT in the 180+ range.

May the luck o' the Irish be with you!

I agree with FLBR.  Once it's smoked it's pastrami even if you don't add the extra spices to the outside.  Even if you "boil" the corned beef you want to soak for at least an hour.  I picked up 2 "pre corned" flats this morning.  One for the usual with cabbage, potatoes, carrots...the other to make pastrami.

Sailor

Well, Paint me red and call me a barn!  LOL  So what I am understanding is if you buy a "corned beef" from the store or make your own spices and and do the brining it is a corned beef.  But if you then smoke it, it is now a pastrami. 

Let me chew on this a bit.  If the SIL gets a packaged corned beef and boils it like she normally does for "corned Beef" and cabbage we will be eating "corned beef" and cabbage.  If she buys that same corned beef and I smoke it then we will be eating Pastrami and cabbage  :o

Hog Dang! I learned something new today!  :)

SiFumar

Sorta lol.  If you buy a plain beef brisket, and add your own spices and cure to brine it..they you are "corning" it.  The Corned beef already made in the bag at the store has been brined and cured.  Usually it is in some brine still when you get it and if you read the ingredients it will have sodium nitrites in it.  Habanero Smoke has a good recipe for the whole Pastrami Process.  Hope it helps.  Oops forgot the link  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?157-Beef-Pastrami

slowpoke

Sailor,corned beef is great with cabbage,carrots,turnup and a potatoe or two.Jude makes it once a month in the winter for us.
I put a great recipe(I us it all the time)on the meat sight 3week corned beef,page 3 Feb23/12. Hope this might help.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

viper125

Sailor! Just a heads up! Irish never ate corned beef in Ireland. They started after coming here its a rumor started by a small butcher years ago. Now you want Irish I'm having  ham hocks with potatoes,onions and Cabbage. Now thats Irish!! ;)
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Sailor

Thanks for all of the replies.  Now I know a bit more about corned beef and that it has to be rinsed.  Still have not heard back from the SIL on how she wants to do it.  She better speak up real soon or the OBS is going to be full of a load of GB jerky.