Smoking Times and Temperatures

Started by Malc C, July 01, 2012, 03:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc C

Hi,

I'm just trying out my Bradley Smoker for the 1st time.  We have placed a tray of three palm sized lumps of Turkey breast on the bottom shelf, along with a small ham joint of around 1lB in weight.  I've set the slider to 3/4 - It's been smoking for around an hour and a half....  I don't want to keep opening the door, so wondered approx how long and what temperature I should run this.  Is there any guide to the length of time  per 1lB for different meats and what shelf setting is best etc...

Also, is it normal for the power indicator on the oven to turn on and off throughout the cooking period - this has been causing fairly large fluctuations in temperatures

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Malc C on July 01, 2012, 03:09:18 AM
Hi,

I'm just trying out my Bradley Smoker for the 1st time.  We have placed a tray of three palm sized lumps of Turkey breast on the bottom shelf, along with a small ham joint of around 1lB in weight.  I've set the slider to 3/4 - It's been smoking for around an hour and a half....  I don't want to keep opening the door, so wondered approx how long and what temperature I should run this.  Is there any guide to the length of time  per 1lB for different meats and what shelf setting is best etc...

Also, is it normal for the power indicator on the oven to turn on and off throughout the cooking period - this has been causing fairly large fluctuations in temperatures
For briskits and butts you can go by the 1 to 1.5/lb but even that is just a guide. With what you got in there, you got to go by internal temp. Invest in a remote thermometer like a maverick et732 so that you don't have to keep opening the door.
I don't have the obs so I assume the light you're talking about is the indicator for the element. It's going on and off as the element is getting power supplied to it and back off to try an maintain the set temp according to where the slider is. The temp swings are normal in the Bradley. Sony sweat it.
You can make the Bradley cook at a more constant temps but requires some modifications. +-1 to 2 degree :o  but that's another thread :)

click on this link How long does it take to hot smoke in a Bradley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Malc C

Thanks Mike,

We pulled the meat after 2hrs and cut the turkey breast - it was cooked all the way through.  The pork was still rare on the inside so we placed the two halves back in for another 2 hrs.  This time it was cooked all the way through...

Must say we've never tasted meat so full of intense flavor... the turkey fell apart, and was so moist and juicy and the pork, had a nice salty smokey taste on the outside, with rich bacon flavor on the inside. -  and neither had been marinated or seasoned before hand !!

Thanks for the link.... gonna do some reading :)