• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie with a few questions...make that a lot of questions

Started by TeamLane27, March 16, 2012, 06:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeamLane27

Hello all!
I am considering purchasing an OBS or BTIS1. I have been reading a lot of posts on this forum and I am bit confused. Please help.    :-\

I see a lot of people modifing their smokers with an Auber PID. I've done google searches for them and I can only find them on the Auber  insturments site for $136.50. This coupled with the price of the OBS on Amazon as of today for $228.85 brings my potential grand total to $365.35. 
Now my first notion is to ask why not just buy the digital Bradley smoker for $383.45?
Is there a place to buy the Auber PID cheaper that I don't know about?
Is there something that the Auber PID offers that I can not get with the Digital Bradley Smoker?

I have also seen a lot of complaints on here about the smoker not reaching temps above 250 degrees. I thought the whole point of smoking food was to go at low temps for long periods of time. Am I missing something here? Do I need to smoker to sometimes get above 250?

Is there a need for an better heating element? and what does adding a fan to the unit do? A smoker Snuggie? How do I prevent my smoker for catching on fire!?!  :o
Okay sorry for playing 1000 questions. I just want to make sure I am going into this with my eyes wide open. I have seen hundreds of awesome posts on here and everyone seems very helpful! Thanks in advance. I look forward to chatting with you all. Take Care.

TeamLane

mikecorn.1

Mike

mikecorn.1

Joking!!!! ;D  Movie starting and need to turn phone off. Others will be
By to fill you in. Answer all your questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

beefmann

the  both are good units and its a personal choice, while i do not  have  the digital  unit my  understanding is that there is a  10 hour ( 9 hr 59 minute max ) time limit , a lot of cooks go way over that , i personally  done several that  has  hit 18 hours.  so keeping the digital smoker on is an issue  with the digital controls from bradly, im sure others  will chime in if im  wrong.

as for the auber  while they have  some in the price range you  have  found they  also have  some cheaper that  can be  installed into the somke generator and start  under $ 50.00. Also the  auber  has no  time limits, it strictly  temp. as for  the smokers not reaching  250  this  is also true depending on conditions around your  smoker,  colder temps, winds, meat load. voltage to the  element.

as for the need for the additional element , it  does help, along with a fan to even out the  box temp... i run a 900 watt element in mine with a  pid. also has a OBS

also  look around  for whats is best for you and my  recommendation  is understand the smoking  process first, its low temperature, slow cooking, so you really  do not need  higher temps.

ask questions and get the  information before purchasing anything and make an educated decision

TeamLane27

Thanks Beefmann!!!
Where can I find an Auber for under $50?

TedEbear

Quote from: TeamLane27 on March 16, 2012, 06:39:21 PM
Where can I find an Auber for under $50?

This is the one I have in my OBS:  1/16 DIN PID Temperature Controller (SSR control output)

The cost of the PID is around $45. With some additional parts to make it all work (SSR, K-type thermocouple, heatsink) the total price will be around $70-$80.  I installed mine in the SG box following a how-to article I found here:  PID Controller

TeamLane27

The cost of the PID is around $45. With some additional parts to make it all work (SSR, K-type thermocouple, heatsink) the total price will be around $70-$80.  I installed mine in the SG box following a how-to article I found here:  PID Controller

Looks beautiful!!! Thank you for the helpful advice! I was worried that I would have to pay almost as much as the smoker for the Auber PID!

Team Lane

TeamLane27