BDS 4 Rack element mod

Started by Fooser2006, March 19, 2012, 11:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fooser2006

Hello all!!

I just got a new BDS and am wanting to find out more about getting the heat to recover quicker.  I have seen a lot of discussion around adding another 500w element and a little comment here and there about putting a 900w element in.  My question is- Can one change out the 500w for a 900w element without performing any serious modifications or do you have to do modifications to accommodate the 900w element??  Also where would you get a 900w element?

Thanks

mikecorn.1

Hopefully someone will come by that's done The 900w mod. I did the
500w as a mentioned on the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Fooser2006

Thanks a bunch!!  Hopefully there is someone out there who has done it. 

Are you satisfied with the extra 500w element and was it hard to do??

muebe

There is not a whole lot of modification needed to install the 900w element. You will need to add a couple brackets to hold the element in place.

You can get the element here...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/TEMPCO-SS-Heater-2XEF3?Pid=search

Here are some pictures of the element installed...

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Fooser2006 on March 19, 2012, 07:58:48 PM
Thanks a bunch!!  Hopefully there is someone out there who has done it. 

Are you satisfied with the extra 500w element and was it hard to do??
Works great. Smoker pre heats in about 10 minutes. Hardest part is notching out the ceramic holders. If you have a dremmel tool it's a bit easier. I used a coarse cone shaped stone attachment. It's all I had that would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Simon1969

Does the standard bradley digital controller power the 900w element ok or do you have to use a different type of PID?
Regards,

Simon

Dean405

How long have you been using the 900 watt heater? I wanted to convert mine, but I was concerned that the 900 watt heater needed moving air over it.

Kahunas

Hi,
I did the 900w upgrade and love it. You can get one from McMaster Carr on line and they will ship it to your house. It does NOT need a fan blowing over it. I would get the one with fins for better heat dissipation in your cabinet. Not sure about your PID with that model Bradley, I have an OBS and installed a PID and a solid state relay to power the heat element. There are some really helpful diagrams on here some where that will help you rewire your smoker.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.