LETS ALL TAKE A BREAK FROM THE SAUSAGE MAKING AND TALK BRISKET

Started by Batman of BBQ, March 11, 2012, 07:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 12, 2012, 06:55:55 AM
Brisket looks good, However, just looking at the pictures it does look like it came out a tad dry and just about the consistency of pulled beef. I am making this guess because I too have made the Brisket with the 200+ IT. Had the same results. On the next brisket you do try pulling it in the 190-195 range. The brisket will be just as done but will have more juice in the meat. I think you will like it much better than the 200 IT briskets. I am currently down to 185-187 IT for my briskets.

One thing to consider with the IT is also the smoker temp and time.  One philosphy that is not much mentioned on this site is how the delta between desired internal temperature and box temperature can have a significant effect on how tender or how dry the product can turn out.  The same cut of meat taken to the same IT will turn out differently based on that delta, although there are many more factors that come into play beyond time, internal temperature and external temperature.  One recommendation I read in 2006 on another site was to have the box temperature 60 degrees above the desired internal temperature.  This approach correlates the effects of the temp that the collegen breaks down, how slow that happens, how long the fat renders out, with the outcome of the final product of being tender or dry.  Some cuts of meat are more forgiving then others. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Tenpoint5

Dang Giz that's getting way to technical for me!! ;D I was just holding to the thought that 225º was the norm unless your using the digital then it would be 230º
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SnellySmokesEm

Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist