Wildflowers & A Volunteer

Started by Oldman, March 21, 2012, 03:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

As some here know I garden. Well back at Christmas in a Dollar Store I came across this boxes of wildflowers. A dollar per box. I got 10 for direct sun and two for shade. I really did not expect much from them. Come on a dollar~~~

Well I laid out the black matting and put a 4" boarder around it and fill it with my compost. I planted all 10 boxes.  Later I looked at one of the boxes as I was throwing them away and it said 5,000 seed per box. Umm I said to myself, "Maybe I might get 10% out of each box. Boy was I wrong! As you can see from this picture I think that every one of those 50,000 seeds germinated! There are a few already flowering, but I can only wonder what this summer will bring???

Now I grow some of my tomatoes in a home made upside buckets where the tomato grows out of the bottom. I also grow tomatoes out of the top of the same bucket. Last year I tried patio tomatoes. Some of the tomatoes fell on the cement and busted. Later their seeds got washed into my side garden. This year I found 12 volunteers! I replanted some of them the others were in a good place so I left them there. However, there is one that I just shake my head about. I feed it and water but I cannot replant it due to where it grew. Check out the picture and if its not the dangest thing you have ever seen I do not know what is!

The rest of my gardens are doing great; plus I have two pineapples in fruit.  ;D

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Gizmo

Nice Olds,
Weather here has been getting too cold at night for seeds to germinate properly.  Some do, some don't.  Agrivating since I now have a raised bed to plant in.  Last year I had 2 starter trays and all of them produced 2 or 3 plants in each cell but not enough places to plant all the seedlings.  Needless to say, I gave a lot of plants away last year.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Quarlow

Looks good Ray. This year I am going to make a herb garden. I got this big tub that is 3' x 4 ' x 3' deep that I found a couple of years ago. I am going to put on my deck to grow. I will put a chunk of foam in the bottom so I don't have 3 feet of soil which is really heavy. I like to use fresh herbs when I cook. Just waiting for the cold to stop.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Those wild flowers are going to look nice when they are in full bloom. That should attract a lot of humming birds and butterflies.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SiFumar

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 22, 2012, 02:23:45 AM
Those wild flowers are going to look nice when they are in full bloom. That should attract a lot of humming birds and butterflies.

I agree! Remember to post a pic when in full bloom please! Thanks.