Question about smoking chickens

Started by TeamLane27, March 21, 2012, 02:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeamLane27

Hello All!
I am new around here  and I just purchased an OBS. For my virgin cook I was thinking about smoking a couple of chickens. From reading around here it seems to me that not many people leave the chickens in the smoker  for the whole cook ( Until the bird reaches an IT of 165F). Are you not able or supposed to keep them in the whole time? I have not made any modifications to my smoker yet so I'm guessing from reading on here I won't be able to cook the birds at above 250F. Please help and Thanks in advance!

Team Lane

Tater

You certainly can deep them in the smoker for the whole cook I've done it many times, but I find that the skin gets rubbery to the point its almost inedible.  If you finish in the oven or a big easy the skin will crisp up nicely.  I often finish in the oven because of time constraints.

ghost9mm

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

TeamLane27

Thanks for the quick reply Tater!

At what temp do you normally smoke them at?

Team Lane

Tater

SiFumar

Agree also with Tater.....make sure you have your vent wide open so moisture can escape!

db14

I've always kept them in the whole time and didn't have too big of an issue with rubbery skin.  It won't be crispy either, though.  I usually hit it with a brine overnight and with aim for closer to 250F on the temp.  They finish relatively quick and are still super moist.

Toker

Do you put a pan just under the meat to catch the fat on chicken with skin? I'M a bit paranoid for the fire if the fat drip through the V tray hole.  Never know with skin...

stillsmoking

TeamLane, I agree with Tater and the rest.  I usually put my chicken in a marinade/brine for 24 hours or so, then take out, drip dry, apply rub and leave overnight in the fridge.  Smoke for a couple hours and then into the Big Easy to finish things off.  Got about 8 pounds of chicken breast in the marinade right now.  We will have some chicken on it's own and use a few pounds to make some chicken chili.  The wife says she will never eat regular chili again! 

Toker, I have never had a problem with anything catching fire while smoking, including stuff with a lot more fat than you willl see on the chicken.

db14

Same here, I've never had anything flame up.