Ribs again round two........... do it different this time?

Started by 4given, March 28, 2012, 11:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

I am going to do 3 racks of  pork spareibs again this weekend but I want to do them a little different than last time.

Last time I did the 3-2-1 and sauced them before the "1"

I want to do them wthout sauce this time and maybe a different rub on each.

I was thinking about either just doing the 3-2-1 and then not saucing them at all for the "1" step

or.................

Not foiling them at all and building a bark with a mop sauce.  It took me about 6 hours to do the 3-2-1 method. Will this method take twice as long?

What do you folks think? Pros & cons?   Any good mop sauce recipies and /or other tips? How often should I mop/spritz them?
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

mrmoe

I've been using the 3-3 method.....3 hours of smoke (hickory & apple) and 3 hours in foil packets with pomegranate juice....since I often make them in advance, I heat them up for serving on the grill and serve sauce on the side....

watchdog56

You can put different rubs on them and cook them that way. As far as how long? The ribs will tell you when they are done. When the meat pulls back from the bone about 1/2" they should be done.
You might want to plan on some extra time. If they get done early you can always put them in foil for a few hours and reheat if necessary.

TedEbear

Quote from: 4given on March 28, 2012, 11:56:25 AM
I am going to do 3 racks of  pork spareibs again this weekend but I want to do them a little different than last time.

How tender were they the first time?  If you think they could have been a little more fall-off-the-bone tender you might experiment with the numbers a bit. 

Someone on here tried a 2-3-.5 method and liked the results.  I tried that with my last spareribs and they turned out really tender.  If you're doing baby backs you'll want to shorten the total time a bit, since they are smaller.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: TedEbear on March 28, 2012, 04:22:14 PM

How tender were they the first time?  If you think they could have been a little more fall-off-the-bone tender you might experiment with the numbers a bit. 

Someone on here tried a 2-3-.5 method and liked the results.  I tried that with my last spareribs and they turned out really tender.  If you're doing baby backs you'll want to shorten the total time a bit, since they are smaller.
Reason I do the 2-3-.5 is because once I get them tender, I dont like to stiffen them back up with that hour at the end naked. To me it defeats the purpose of the second step. Just IMHO.  :)
Mike

4given

Quote from: TedEbear on March 28, 2012, 04:22:14 PM

They were WAY tender. Fall off the bone tender. I would say they could have had just a little more tooth to them ... maybe...
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

4given

What works for a good mop / spritzing sauce? Oil & apple juice and/or ?????
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

KyNola

Think twice about spritzing and/or mopping frequently.  Every time you open the door on the Bradley the temp falls like a rock.  If you're not a "dripping down the arms" sauce person, give this a shot. Try cooking them in the Bradley with no foil and no sauce.  When you decide they essentially are done, quickly place them on a sheet pan or tray or something so they are all in the same container and bring them in and quickly glaze them with your favorite sauce.  Now, wrap the entire tray, pan or whatever in foil and place in your house oven(no heat in the oven) and let them rest for around an hour, maybe only 30 minutes and see what you think.

I have started doing this with ribs out of the MAK and it works great for me.

wolverines

I don't have a Bradley (yet).  When I do ribs, I use the 2-2-1 method.  This has worked out great (for me).  My family likes sauce. So on the last part (the 1 part) I  brush 1 coat of sauce on both sides of the ribs for that last hour. Puts a nice glaze on them and then I just give them sauce on the side so they can have more if they want it.

db14

I agree with KYNOLA, you need to mop/spritz sparingly to keep your cabinet temp up.  The more you open the door the longer the whole process will take.  I stopped using the 3-2-1 a little while ago and I just go with about 5-6 hours at about 220F and I haven't had any problems with them drying out.  I'm a dry BBQ guy, so this has better results for me.  I open up after the smoking cycle is done to empty the water bowl and refill (normally about 3 hours in) and again after about 4.5-5 hours.  Each of theses times I give it a light spray with apple cider vinegar.  There's lots of good ideas on here, experiment and find what works for you.  You have three racks going, so you can try three different styles.

4given

Not a lot of spritzing/mopping advocates so far...........................
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100