All American!

Started by fishrman, March 29, 2012, 07:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tturaider

Quote from: fishrman on April 01, 2012, 08:43:30 AMI did vacuum pack the majority of it, so will have to wait and see how they improve with age. 

How long are you gona let it age? I thought tat you had to let all cheese age after you smoked it or you would get a bad taste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

fishrman

Quote from: tturaider on April 01, 2012, 09:22:52 AM
Quote from: fishrman on April 01, 2012, 08:43:30 AMI did vacuum pack the majority of it, so will have to wait and see how they improve with age. 

How long are you gona let it age? I thought tat you had to let all cheese age after you smoked it or you would get a bad taste.

It'll age as long as it lasts.  Since it is so good now, I'm not going to wait on it.  Every natural cheese I have smoked did require a waiting period of several weeks at least, but the american, perhaps because it is a processed cheese, is good right away.

tturaider

That is good to know! I may have to try some American. Is just getting warm down here in Texas so I've got to do it fast.

fishrman

Quote from: tturaider on April 01, 2012, 11:04:30 AM
That is good to know! I may have to try some American. Is just getting warm down here in Texas so I've got to do it fast.

Go for it!  Would suggest you put a couple of two liter bottles of water in the freezer the day before, then put them on the drip pan if you have a remote cold smoke attachment or on the first rack if you have the SG directly mounted on the bradley.  That'll help keep the temps down.  Let us know how it works out for you!

tturaider

I don't have a cold smoke smoke attachment and don't think I have the time to make one right now so I will try the frozen water bottles. Thanks for the idea!

What other kinds of cheeses would you suggest?

fishrman

Try any cheese you like.  I had good luck with Cheddar and Gouda, not such great luck with Mozzarella (came out dry).  Will have to let those age for a few weeks though or the flavor may be kinda rough and even ashy.

tturaider

Awesome I'm gona send my wife to the store today since im at the fire station and have her get a pound each of American, Cheddar, and Gouda....I can't wait!

DTJ

I have done American cheese a few times with great results.  Just a pain in the butt taking all of the slices out of their little wrappers!!!! ;D 
The few times a year it is cold enough I smoke about 10lbs of it.  I get the 5 lb blocks at sams or restaurant depot that are already sliced and divide into 1 ib blocks.  It does take the smoke well and the slices still come apart easily. I will admit it is not my favorite cheese but it is hard to beat the convience of being sliced and smoking sure makes it a whole lot better.  The first time I tried it I gave my dad a pound of chedder, american and provelone he like the american the best.  Like someone else mentioned it takes the smoke really well.  I have always aged mine for at least a month like all other cheese, I never thought about trying it any earlier.  Assumed it would taste like ash as with most all cheese.  I have noticed though the longer it sits does not add anything to it.  I accidently "lost" some chedder and american in the refridgerator.  It sat in there for about a year.  The cheddar dried out some, got harder and a little sharper but the american never changed.

I have not tried smoking velveeta.  We really like using it for queso with chili and salsa in it I think smoked velveeta would only make it better.
Fishrman I like the idea of the two liter bottles, I have laoded mine with ice before and forgot to watch out and empty the bowl and found out that the Bradley is not water tight!!!  Luckily it did not get any of the electronics or electrical wet, will never do that again.

Daryl

La Quinta

I did the velveeta...and tried an entire "brick" cut up...I did cut off one little piece and vac sealed it seperately...just to try it...well I opened it today and mixed it with a little heavey cream and rotel toms...cooked up some pasta and added it...really nice..I like (as we call it) crappy cheese smoked...surprising actually...and only 5 weeks smoke wait..(could be because I added stuff)...anyhoo...thanks for the idea to try it in the first place!!