Smoke Ring / Wood Type

Started by STLstyle, April 12, 2012, 07:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLstyle

Any opinions out there on whether type of wood effects the smoke ring?  I've had 5-6 different smokes and haven't achieved that desired smoke ring effect on my butts or especially the brisket.  I've been using apple a lot on pork and whiskey oak / apple on the brisket (which I've heard apple doesn't leave much of a ring). 

I was thinking maybe the Bradley doesn't produce enough smoke volume to produce a good ring?

Don't get me wrong the food taste is fantastic but where's the ring?
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

tdwester

Electric smokers don't produce a smoking ring. The smoke ring just looks cool doesn't add to the flavor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

muebe

The smoke ring is caused by the products of combustion reacting with the meat chemically. The Bradley puck generator causes the pucks to smoke but not combust. So that is why there is no smoke ring.

Although pleasing to the eyes the smoke ring has zero affect to taste. Pellet, charcoal, and stick burners create a smoke ring due to their combustion of wood.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

STLstyle

Thanks muebe!  That's the answer I was looking for.  My buddy was claiming it was the apple that didn't leave a good ring (he knows it all... ;))

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

mikecorn.1

Smoke Ring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike