Dry Ribs question

Started by 4given, March 30, 2012, 09:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

I decided I am going to do my ribs dry this weekend.  Sauce will be served  on the side. I am doing 3 racks of spareribs with three different rubs. I will be using Jan's Rub on one rack, Memphis Dust on the second rack  and a blend of 1 part Jan's Rub, 1 Part Memphis dust and some extra cayanne pepper to kick the heat up a notch on the third rack. I think I will call it "Hot Memphis Jan's"  ;) ;D :o ::) 8)

I am going to do 3 hours smoke, 2 hours in the foil with apple juice and 1 hour naked, no sauce.

My question is does any body sprinkle any more dry spices or aplly any more smoke during this last hour?

What about adding dry spices after they are done befor serving? I know a local rib joint that askes you if you want your rack :dirty" and they sprinkle some sort of concoction on them before they hand them over.

Whtcha think? ???
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

mikecorn.1

I don't see why it would hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

TedEbear

I never add sauce to my ribs. However, I do usually add a glaze that's called Vermont Maple Glazed Pig Candy.  You make it from the drippings of the apple juice in step 2 of the cooking process.

BTW, there is a spicy version of Jan's Rub called Jan's Spicy Dry Rub.

Pig Candy Glaze:

ratherbboating

On adding extra rub near the end, I don't, but mainly because of the rub I use has sea salt in it.  I use a homemade Cajun rub for pork, not too much hot spice because of the wife.  I do use a sauce on my ribs in the last hour, I like the raspberry and chilpotle from Sweet Baby Rays.

I looked at the Vermont Maple Candy and it looks good, will try it on some pork steaks soon.

TedEbear, them ribs look goooooooood!!!
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

squirtthecat

I do them dry (other than a little Carolina Treet for the 'glue'), and then mist once or twice at the end with a spritzer full of Apple Cider Vinegar.  Gives them a nice sheen.

The542

Some great info in this thread, thanks!
BDS4 w/ cold smoke adapter
Auber dual probe PID
TBE
Weber Genesis E-330