Newbie advice???

Started by KyNola, March 30, 2012, 08:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hal4uk

You can smoke good BBQ with a HOLE IN THE GROUND.

All you "need" is food and protection from the weather.
Anything else is just a bonus.
Awrighten.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

rcger

I admit that I finally broke down and bought a PID to go with my BDS.  But you need to remember something, "At the end of the world, the guy with the most toys wins!"
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

slowpoke

Thank You for the info.I Have all I need with my Bradley.My motto,Learn threw my mistakes,make notes and don't upset the wife.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

IKnowWood

I been smoking foods for a while on the OBS SS even tried the Propane, and Inherited my In-laws OBS SS when we died a few years back.  All I ever did was a simple switch, the Propane I don't use anymore, gotta figure what to do with that. 
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Wildcat

Absolutely nothing wrong with buying extra's for the Bradley. Even I have a PID, cold smoke adapter, etc.) The point is to be sure to let the new folks know that it is not required for the Smoker to perform as it was designed to do. If I were new to smoking, did not know anything about the Bradley, and read some of the responses to newbee's introductions and/or questions I would be hesitant about buying a Bradley because I would get the impression that it would not perform properly without all the extra's (especially the larger ticket items). The point of this thread is to keep these things in mind when dealing with the new folks.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Tiny Tim

Quote from: Wildcat on April 08, 2012, 05:28:14 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with buying extra's for the Bradley. Even I have a PID, cold smoke adapter, etc.) The point is to be sure to let the new folks know that it is not required for the Smoker to perform as it was designed to do. If I were new to smoking, did not know anything about the Bradley, and read some of the responses to newbee's introductions and/or questions I would be hesitant about buying a Bradley because I would get the impression that it would not perform properly without all the extra's (especially the larger ticket items). The point of this thread is to keep these things in mind when dealing with the new folks.

+1

viper125

Well didn't mean to give the impression that the Bradley wasn't a good smoker.  It will do any thing the others will do with out adding any thing. But most people do end up building it up. I would recommend you learn the smoker first. Then you'll know what you want or need. Some people like to smoke the way it is. And some really like to go high tech. But its more the person then the having to. I jumped in with both feet because I'd already had a lot of smokers and knew exactly what I wanted. But know plenty that use the OBS with out any devices. Hey each to their own and the nice thing here is any one any way is welcome.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

La Quinta

I don't rerally get the toy market...I guess it's a guy thing? I grew up with old smokers that worked just fine...am I being stupid? Never had a need to have toys and I think Ky is right...get to know the smoker before you buy any enhancements...just my opinion...

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Wildcat on April 08, 2012, 05:28:14 PM
The point of this thread is to keep these things in mind when dealing with the new folks.

This is the point exactly. Here lately is seems to go like this.

I bought a new Bradley and it isn't heating up or holding the heat like I think it should. Just found this place and it is great!

That's great, glad you found us. You need to look here (&^)^_ on how to do a second element mod. You need to go here to get a )(*&*& and here to get a )(&)_**&^

Really I need all of that to make my Bradley work?

Oh yeah it will work so much better with all of these things. You have to do it!

It might not go exactly like that. However it is usually pretty damn close.

Where as the way the the answers should be and used to be.

What is your vent setting?  Are you adding hot/boiling water to the drip pan. How much meat are you putting in the smoker?  As for retaining heat after you open the door or for a faster temp recovery. Try a Bigger aluminum drip pan, Or foil wrapped bricks. Some even heat the bricks in the house oven to 450 degrees.

We as forum members have the responsibility, to help folks learn how to make their smoker work for them. How to get the best product that they can get. With the least amount of hassle as possible. Not telling them they need to spend more money to make the same food as a lot of us are making just using the Bradley right out of the box.

Just in case your wondering. Yes I have a PID. It is wrapped up and stuck inside the cabinet that my Bradley sets on. It has been for 2 years. I took the time to learn my Smoker and learn the processes from all of the knowledgeable people that are on this forum. I have even tried my best to impart and share that knowledge to new folks when they come to the forum through posts and comments and the 4-5 PM's I get every day. I may not post a lot any more but I do check in almost daily.

Lets try and get back to the basics of learning how to use our Bradley's, before we jump straight into suggesting ANYONE needs to do a modification to make it work.

Thanks for starting this Larry. I have been wanting to say something about this for a while just didn't know how to start it.

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/