• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

GB Jerky questions and a few pointers

Started by Consooger, April 05, 2012, 09:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

It's been a while since I posted on here and even smoked. Been busy with work, trout season, wedding planning, moving etc etc etc. Anyways...I have made about 7-8 amazing batched of muscle jerky and everyone loves it.

I'm looking to move over to making some GB jerky and using the soon to be father in laws jerky blaster which he said I could keep because he never uses it. I do not have a dehydrator so I was just planning on using the Bradley 6 rack that I have.

Any pointers anyone can give me on using just the smoker to make this?
- Time
- Temp
I have read that to make the GB you use a little higher temp than what I was using for my muscle which was a steady 150-160 degrees.

ANy help with this would be awesome. Also any good GB recipes would be great as well since this is my first go at this type of jerky.

AND YES I WILL POST PICTURES!!!

-Sugar
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Sailor

I have the OBS 4 rack and have frog mats for the 4 trays.  I shoot my GB jerky on the frog mats then load the mat into the tray and into the OBS.  I preheat the Bradley to 150 degrees and keep it there.  I use 2 hrs of hickory and rotate the racks every hour or so.  I have a fan kit but find that I still need to rotate.  Takes me about 10 hrs give or take to get the jerky done.  Normally I make a 4 pound batch and when I shoot the jerky I leave a space between each length.  If I shoot them touching I can get a 5 pound load in 4 trays.  Anyway that is how I do it and they come out just fine.  ;D  Good luck

PS.  I do have a wish list going and a dehydrator is on that list  :o

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

mikecorn.1

Good info. Looking to make some also. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

rsherman24

I love my Bradley and use it for everything I can get my hands on, but I use a dehydrator for GB jerky.  I bought an American Harvest at Wally world a few years ago for around 40 buck's and bought 2 extra trays. I shoot the strips out on a large cutting board then cut them to size with a bench scraper or putty knife. 6 trays I can fit a 5 lb batch. Rotate the trays every 40 minutes and they are perfect for my taste and texture.  I have also tried pulling them early and hitting with an hour of smoke in the Bradley with great results. I add canned chipotle peppers to my recipe which gives it a nice heat and smoke flavor.

experiment to see what you like.  Even the so so batches are good.