Smoking Cheese

Started by Scottie's Gourmet Meats, March 29, 2012, 09:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scottie's Gourmet Meats

So I am looking for some insight or just some relative experience in cheese smoking. I have smoked about a 100 or so lbs of cheese in the past few months and the flavor is great, but I have been having a problem with my smoker getting too hot (I don't have a temp control). I am building a cold smoking attachment for it, but I am wondering if the flavor will come out the same if I cold smoke as it does with a hotter smoke. Does the smoke permeate better when the cheese is warm or will it really matter at all?

Thanks for your insights, experience and wisdom!
Scottie Gourmet Meats!

Habanero Smoker

For meat proteins there are points of diminishing returns, both on the low end and high end.  For example, and depending on what source you read cold smoking optimal temperatures seem to be between 50 - 80°F.  If the temperature is too cool, smoke will not penetrate or adhere as well.

For hot smoking which is approximately 100 - 180°F, as the meat temperature rises, the ability for smoke to penetrate and adhere diminishes.

As for proteins in dairy, I'm not sure if they react the same.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

I try to smoke cheeses between 80-95 F. I can see more color on the cheese at a higher temp. I think the taste is better also. IMHO The only time I smoke it colder is if I'm doing Velvetta or something that will melt. I have never melted any chese but did get close a couple times.  :)

rajzer

I could never cold smoke anything until I got the Bradley cold smoke attachment.  The lowest temp I was able to achieve before was around 100, which is too hot for cheese and salmon.  Couple of weeks ago I did some lox and cheddar, and the temp was a constant 71.  Outdoor temp was around 50.  The attachment works great, five minutes to set up and cost 76.99 from Costco.  Incredibly they delivered it in less than 48 hours. 

ghost9mm

Quote from: pensrock on March 30, 2012, 05:57:50 AM
I try to smoke cheeses between 80-95 F. I can see more color on the cheese at a higher temp. I think the taste is better also. IMHO The only time I smoke it colder is if I'm doing Velvetta or something that will melt. I have never melted any chese but did get close a couple times.  :)

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill